Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full window vinyl install...

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by Moze, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Curious where you guys would be at time-wise on a window measuring 100"h (±) x 66"w (±)? There are a few vertical and a few horizontal. The vinyl will be digitally printed to include text/graphics which will need to be staggered around the mullions.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. splizaat

splizaat Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    Assuming you are asking how much time it'll take me to install a 100"x66" full coverage print on a flat window...assuming about 2 pieces.

it'd take me an hour to an hour and a half with a second set of hands. I'd install wet and cut along the edges with a big ruler and knife if I needed to.

....or is there more to this?

3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    also how easy is it to get to the windows? will ladders be needed? does the vinyl air channels?

4. splizaat

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    If I had a choice, I'd print it on non-air channel and install wet.

5. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    also if this is going to be full coverage and at ground level,
    solid vinyl = no visibility
    window perf or clear so you are not creating a "black void"

6. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I know, I left a lot of needed information out. This is pretty preliminary, so I don't even have much information quite yet. Just wanted to put some feelers out to get some others thoughts.

I believe the windows are all lower level/1st story and easily accessible. They'll definitely have to be done in two pieces per pane due to the width of the vinyl. It will be done with two guys. I was estimating an hour and a half per window.

The vinyl is actually temporary (after a month or so it will be removed).

7. splizaat

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    hour and a half should be fine.

8. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    It will take you longer to drive there and clean the window, than the install time. No wet install, air egress and one person. 1.5 hours/charge them for for half a day, for the drive, if in town, gas, install, clean up, drive back, make the 3/4 of a day, I had lunch.

9. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Why would that take over an hour...something I am not seeing? Dry app, only. doing wet app makes it a "pain" to trim tight to the "pain" without waiting for alittle drying time. LOL. Seriously an hour and a half would be plenty, with the given info.

10. Sooner Printing

Sooner Printing Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I would use phototex.. Up to 6months outside..no residue left behind and very easy to install..that stuff sticks anywhere buttcut at seem..

11. 704signs

704signs Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Monroe NC
    I don't know about you Moze but I never have a say or even know what type of vinyl will be used until I see it a few days before the install... Its not uncommon for a minor/major detail to be left out during the bid process as well.

12. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I'm purposely leaving information out to string you guys along. jk...I'm a bit tired and am leaving out details, sorry.

There are multiple windows. The estimated time was per window including drive time. It's local, so no big deal there.

And that's exactly how this job is - not sure what material is being provided yet.

13. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    thanksforthestringalong

this sign reminded me of you

14. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I know!! There's a funny (kind of) story behind that...

So, Phillip designed my logo. We went through a ton of revisions and finally arrived at the finished product.

A few months back, I was eating at this awesome Salvadorian restaurant that is by the sign company I worked at for 10 years. I looked out the window and there's a Extra Space Storage across the street. Then I had two simultaneous thoughts:

- We (the sign company I used to work at) built a huge number of those
    - It looks a LOT like my logo (or rather my logo looks a LOT like theirs)

Totally accidental but I think of it every time I see one of those signs now.

15. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Yep, as they say, "There's nothing new under the sun".

:smile:

16. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    If it's only going to be up for a month, I would recommend General Formulations Concept 206, it's nice and thick and has a removable adhesive, I just did a job similar to what you are describing at our shop.

Attached Files:

17. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Holy cow your place is huge!

18. CanuckSigns

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Lol i wish! We are renting about 2500 sq/ft in an old woodworking factory, the whole building is around 90,000 sq/ft. it's a pretty cool building from the late 1800's tons of history in here.

19. CanuckSigns

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    oops it's actually 204

20. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    That looks great - and, agreed - nice shop!

I suppose it's the rule to eliminate/discard the lettering that falls where the mullions are, correct? In other words you don't split a letter and just move it over. (make sense?)

21. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    That looks great, Watson.
    :)
    Love....Jill