• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fun with chisels!

SignManiac

So I'm working on a large blast carved cedar sign featuring an orange pictorial on it and thought it would be therapeutic to get out the chisels and have at it. Next I'll paint it the colors shown in the print out above it. Sometimes it's nice to get away from the computer for a little while!

Attachments

• CIMG3533.JPG
    CIMG3533.JPG
    484.3 KB · Views: 135

SignManiac

Blasted the sign yesterday so here it is in it's raw state before getting finish sanded, primed and painted. This sign is 5'h. x 8'w. I decided to do the little scroll pieces with a prismatic bevel.

This should be completed by the end of next week. I'll post a finish shot of it then with the color on it.

Attachments

• sacred-01.jpg
    sacred-01.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 124

J Hill Designs

hmm I have no problem with that - 2 coats thinned spar varnish, final coat unthinned spar varnish, 1 shot, blast, paint background, remove

SignManiac

I would never put 1-shot on any of my sign work ever again. Two years down here and it turns to chalk. I'm all latex based on my work and it holds it color very well.

SignManiac

Yep your boss is still doing stuff the old school way. Times have changed and so have the materials we have to work with. I'm always looking for new and better ways of doing things. What I do today doesn't resemble anything I did thirty years ago. And I for one am glad things have changed for the better!

SignManiac

Pat the oranges are carved from some scrap 15lb. HDU. I used some scrap 3/4" PVC for the prismatic scroll pieces. The paint is Behr premium exterior semi gloss house paint usually two coats on top of Zinsser oil base primer on cedar. Oil base because the tannins in the cedar can leech out. On anything else I would use a water base primer. That's about all there is to it..

SignManiac

Updated:

Here she is painted. I won't be installing this one, the client is. I'm satisfied with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• Sacred Heart.jpg
    Sacred Heart.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 134
  • Sacred Heart2.jpg
    Sacred Heart2.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 108

RJ California

Those oranges are masterworks as far as signs go. Great for closeup photos for a portfolio piece. I appreciate your input on latex too. We always use latex on the blasted backgrounds but usually One-Shot on the lettering. What brand of latex paint do you prefer? How many coats on the lettering?

SignManiac

RJ I've been using Behr premium for the past several years. Occasionally Sherwin Williams or Glidden. I figure if they hold up on the outside of your house for many years, they should last just as long on a sign. In Florida seven to ten years has been the average before they need a repaint. I always go with two coats of primer and at least two coats on the finish. Sometimes three if it's a dark color.

RJ California

RJ I've been using Behr premium for the past several years. Occasionally Sherwin Williams or Glidden. I figure if they hold up on the outside of your house for many years, they should last just as long on a sign. In Florida seven to ten years has been the average before they need a repaint. I always go with two coats of primer and at least two coats on the finish. Sometimes three if it's a dark color.
Great -- I use Behr also for backgrounds. Thanks for the information.:thankyou: