• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fun with Vectorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
SO, we contacted a company in Tacoma, Washington to do a vector of a jpg for a church... I don't think that we'll be using them again. Unless we need more retarded alien sheep. I especially like the "artistic touches" they added, like random lines, not-completely-hidden strokes, flowers where there are no flowers, leaves where there are no leaves, and complete changes to facial structure (along with early stage Vitiligo on Jesus' forehead). There is so much lack of effort put into this that I almost used it for a different kind of paper.

Jpg on left, new, improved, $35 vector on right.

Attachments

• CAClogo.gif
    CAClogo.gif
    36.5 KB · Views: 119
  • vector.jpg
    vector.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 87

weaselboogie

If you want anything worthwhile, you're going to spending a crapload more than $35. You're taking an image that is never meant to be vector and trying to turn it into one. If you want line art, that's another story, but if you want photo-like , then you're looking at more of what Joe Diaz is doing. And yes, you certainly got what you paid for.

Circleville Signs

Yup - to take that image and make it a quality vector would probably take in the vicinity of 3-5 hours. At our rates that would cost you $195-325.

omgsideburns

..all that being said, I think the vector doctor would have passed on it.

Looks like a turd, Jesus' face is messed up. The colors are wrong.. I love it.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
we were looking for fast, to be fair - just gonna give it to our GA and have him work on it over his holiday weekend. Customer will have to wait. Graphics geeks dont have lives, right?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
For $35 I don't think it's that bad. Especially since you needed it in a hurry too. I mean it's not great, but it looks like $35 worth of work to me.

ForgeInc

I am normally the first to criticize shoddy work, believe me...but $35? I mean, for my rate, (and I think I am pretty low, comparatively) that is like 20 minutes of work. By the time you add in actually getting the files, downloading them, correspondence, emails, billing, etc. what do you expect?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Back from vacation and found this thread. No I would not have taken on this job. As mentioned some art is not ideal for vectoring. And certainly not $35. It is not an impossible vector job but you cannot expect much for $35. I would rather turn down a job than make a promise I cannot keep. Here you have a company that may say the opposite. Take every job, and pray the customer is happy. And what have they done? Probably lost you as a customer. I am ok with never taking the job to begin with.

The art is detailed but at this size and resolution you cannot tell what is going on. It has the look of a watercolor or pastel type painting. Many professional vector artists could attempt this and you would get varying results but would probably will cost in the hundreds unless they are operating out of China or India

phototec

we were looking for fast, to be fair - just gonna give it to our GA and have him work on it over his holiday weekend. Customer will have to wait. Graphics geeks dont have lives, right?

Wow, what a cheapster, you GOT your $35 worth, how many hours do you expect someone to work for $35 creating a good vector graphic from your jpg?

I would have to charge you about $200 to recreate this jpg as a vector.

Oh, great, now you want your GA to work over his holiday weekend, that's DOUBLE TIME, now It should cost you $400!!!

:covereyes: :omg:

:omg2:

Status
Not open for further replies.