Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funky colors from CAD type programs.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Andy D, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I do a lot of illustration prints for engineers & architects for their presentations, usually created in a CAD type
    program and exported as a PDF. I seem to spend a lot of time manually color correcting them, because the
    files come in with funky colors.
    Anyone else experience this?

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    CAD programs are horrible at creating production ready graphics, from breaking curves into 1000 tiny segments, to solid colour fills that come in as a weird bitmap/vector mashup, to shapes that as not closed its a nightmare. "But it looks fine on my screen, must be your software"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    If you're using onyx and constantly fixing the same colors, you can just make a filter with all the colors stored for the next time...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I took a look into it because I was curious and it looks like a lot of CAD programs use a color space called, TrueColor. My guess is that this color space just doesn't translate to the standard Adobe ones that well. The advice above might be the way to go. Just mapping colors in the RIP.