• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Future of the industry?

TammieH

The market may shrink, more competition, who knows really, no sense in worrying about something you can't control.

A wise old sign painter told me this though, if you are a decent sign painter with a bit creative talent, you will always be in demand...

I believe that holds true for today, and I believe it will hold true for tomorrow.

Whether you can design signs on a computer, hand paint, carve, weld or build signs out of just about anything...you should be able to find work or employment as long as you are physically able.

jen.reelez

The market may shrink, more competition, who knows really, no sense in worrying about something you can't control.

A wise old sign painter told me this though, if you are a decent sign painter with a bit creative talent, you will always be in demand...

I believe that holds true for today, and I believe it will hold true for tomorrow.

Whether you can design signs on a computer, hand paint, carve, weld or build signs out of just about anything...you should be able to find work or employment as long as you are physically able.

Nice thoughts!:clapping:

We may don't have the power to control the changing times,
but we have the free will and choices to which path to take..

I, too, believe that a decent sign painter/maker can get a job as long as he/she is persevering and maintains an integrity and good character towards work. :Big Laugh

grampa dan

Still optimistic about my future in this business after 46 years of making signs

So many I see in this business are doing what just about anyone else can do - especially these days with plotters and printers. The only thing they have to compete with is price. That's a business model I wouldn't much care for. I see so many talented people around me doing far less than they are capable of. They do the same thing over and over expecting something different than the predictable results.

I painted my first professional sign at age 14. It was a Christmas Window splash. I made fabulous money, cleared more than ten times what I could have pumping gas. (my other job) I was hooked, partly because I could make good money but mostly because I loved it so much. In the years since I always tried to be where I was lonely, doing what I loved and but also doing what few others could do. I followed my passion. It meant I had to work exceptionally hard to get good at what I did. Every day is uncharted territory. (still is) I still come out the house door each day, happy to go to work in the shop out in the back yard. I've surrounded myself with young, eager workers and together we build some very amazing projects. I still do OK with the pay cheque too.

I purposely cater to a niche industry, dimensional signs and theme parks. Customers are few and far between but the folks who can do this work are even more rare. It's works. I have no doubt I'll run out of time long before I run out of work I am passionate about doing.

-grampa dan