• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fuzzy red edge around pure black

IsItFasst

I replaced my head since the black was deflecting. Now there is a thin fuzzy red/purple edge around the black (didn't have this problem before). Haven't noticed it anywhere else except when printing black onto white. Multiple files are this way. Haven't changed profiles (that I know of since been using my default). Just manually swabbed the edges of the heads, changed scraper and wipers but the problem still is occurring. Did all the alignments with new head when installed, etc. See attachment. SP-300V.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 125

AF

Yes, but I suppose I'll go through the procedure again to be safe. Magenta fires when it's pure black vector?

Depends on your rip settings. Obviously it is firing more than just black in your situation so you should revisit your rip and correct the settings for this file.

IsItFasst

I'm using flexi for the rip and have been using the same profile for years (for this material). I don't think I changed anything within my profile (unless on accident) but will revisit that too (though I did double check the other day to make sure nothing was obviously wrong). It definitely isn't the file itself as ALL files that are black and white are doing this. Thanks for the input.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that the printer uses all the colors to make black unless you tell the rip not to. "K"isn't a very rich dark black by itself an most will give you a formula for rich black like; 60C 60M 60Y 100K or some variation.

inkjet frank

It looks like there is a heavy ink lay down and most likely that black is a mixture of CMYK. Have you tired creating different black values in your art program? Do you have any deflecting magenta nozzles?

IsItFasst

Well that makes sense if magenta prints too in order to make black. But I know the heads were aligned properly during the installation. Unless they got nudged after the test print. I'll need to work on this in the next few days to verify they are still aligned properly. But I do know a test print shows all 4 colors printing perfectly with no deflection so that isn't the problem.

IsItFasst

Well problem solved. The vertical adjustment was off on the heads. Realigned and it fixed the issue. Black does print a little "thick" so am going to tone down that channel some.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
C60 M30 Y0 K100 should give you a good black with the least amount of ink.

Also realize that your profiles have ink limits within them. If I remember correctly 3M has a total ink limit around 280%. So you can send C100 M100 Y100 K100 but it won't put 400% ink down.