• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FX Alignment or "Registration"

Decal Dude

We have had a Gerber Edge FX for Four years and basically like the machine. I say basically because while it works great for most of our needs, it is seriously lacking in other areas. One thing that has me FLABERGASTED is the registration. Most of our work is relatively small (less than 1/2" high) and some have great amounts of detail. I have been told multiple times by multiple reps:banghead: "Gerber doesn't do small." OK so then how are other manufacturers printing metalic inks SMALL?:help

Another issue is multiple colors and flood coats. Since 99.9% of our decals are printed on clear, most Gerber colors are translucent on a dark background and need a white or metalic flood coat to bring opacity so they can be seen. INEVITABLY the white will not completely line up and will "shadow":frustrated:. Nice effect but if it is not what the customer wants... problems.:scream:

Can anyone advise me on tight registration for a Gerber? I know it can be done because I have seen some very small tight printing on white done on a Gerber with no "Shadow". Can ANYONE HELP? I have contacted the company multiple times:banghead: and have been told that we are "within tolerance". Being "within tolerance" is costing me MONEY!!!

Is there anyone else out therethat has experienced these problems and solved them? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

UltraHIVE

i have that problem when using Zeronine foils with either Gerber or Duracoat (and yes i use duracoat foils on an FX sometimes, re-rolling the foil onto empty Gerber hubs). i print very small decals, some up to 9 layers, with primed backings. Zeronine foil prints to the left for me, up to 1/32 off, consistantly 1/64 off. reps tell me that a few things can cause this. the darker the foil the tighter the ribbon so it pulls differently, the print order matters cause the first color opens up the vinyl punch holes a little bit and gives some play on the second color. blah blah, its a pain in the butt. i can quick fix small jobs without even test priniting now, but theres a "long division" way that can help...

the long way for example, very long way.... for small prints, i repeat 1 design to take up 1 row, lets say 12 in one row. ill save the file as "test1", then repeat the save 11 more times, "test2", "test3"... open every file up. for "test1" select the repeated 2 to 12, change them to clear. do that to the rest of the files like "test2" select the repeat 1 and 3 to 12... continue till each file has 1 of the 12 repeats filled, incrementing to the next repeat in each file. this way u can rewind and re-use the unused space in your foil and vinyl, without wasting material, while test printing up to 12 "trial and errors", learning from each and adjusting for the next test print.

if your having other separation issues, u need to be layer printing obviously, DONT use Zeronine white as a backing cause it leaves a ripped paper effect on the edges of the top color. adjust the shapes postition, stroke, outline... to make up the white spacing. sometimes u need to trick the software / edge fx by choosing black in the project file, especially when printing colors onto reflective chrom vinyl. thats the only way i can print opaque colors, or primed Gerber foils onto lets say Oracals reflective chrome.

hope this helped :)

J Hill Designs

I have no prob's with zeronine ribbons - if you are consistently 1/64 off, just bleed it over 1/64th - no one will see the top color bleed, but you wont see the white.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Color to color registration tolerance is about + or - .02" on my machine. One factor that greatly influences it is the length of foil remaining of each color. Under ideal conditions of starting with two brand new cartridges, there is very little error. You will also see an improvement in color to color registration if you turn off the "Conserve Foil" feature, although you will as a result use more foil.

To improve print to cut registration, select the outside color of your print for the target impression.

Tony Teveris

Decal Dude, as Kay asked, what software (version) are you using. Many people seem to think the "RegFixer" app does help them. It is our intent to build this app into the product in the next release. The app which I put together is pretty simple, it just goes through the spool file and adjust the "X" position to +/- the amount the user specifies. This all has to do with the tension on the foil motors, the amount of foil on the roll, any backlash in the vinyl motors, etc and has been a "thorn" in our side since day one.