• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

G-Mail Alternative

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have to wonder if y'all are looking at budget domain providers. All of the emails that I am allowed have infinity for allocation. And I am paying less than what was quoted for 365 Standard.

As to backing up, some actually have the ability to archive into PDFs (fully indexed, including embedding attachments). I have been known to archive my emails, so that does also keep from getting "full inbox", so I had to confirm what my memory allocation was.
I don't think that it's about the storage, it's the clunky interface and lack of decent email readers outside of Outlook. There is a reason that people are willing to pay for these things. Same goes with the graphics programs. I use open office and libreoffice but if that was something that I used on a daily basis, I would pay for 365 because it's about the most refined setups out there. Quickbooks too, sucks paying for it but it's the adopted standard for the majority of accounting firms and businesses.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
All I know is that my list of things that I don't want to do gets longer as time goes on. Up towards the top of it is screw around with clunky software and deal with computer issues. I want it to work as intended straight out of the box and I also want to use the same things that the majority of others use so that problems are much easier to solve.
It's much like buying furniture, don't bring it to me in a box. If it's not assembled then I don't want it.

rossmosh

You can spend $5-10/mo for web hosting with a domain, and get free email as a result. The downside of this is it will be shared hosting and this can absolutely result in your email getting blacklisted. This happened to me a few years back and I had a real problem emailing about 10% of my customers as a result.

I ended up using my domain, but using gmail to host my email. No one blacklists gmail servers so it's completely solved that problem. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of gmail's web interface, but I use Thunderbird so it more or less doesn't matter. I don't remember the cost, but it's relatively inexpensive all things considered. If you're against using Gmail, Microsoft also offers basically the same service and I've read it's a slightly better deal.

Regardless, at least for me, being able to send and receive emails consistently without a headache is worth spending a few bucks a month on. Using @gmail.com vs @mydomain.com is also worth a few extra bucks. It gives you a bit more of a professional look.

netsol

You can spend $5-10/mo for web hosting with a domain, and get free email as a result. The downside of this is it will be shared hosting and this can absolutely result in your email getting blacklisted. This happened to me a few years back and I had a real problem emailing about 10% of my customers as a result.

I ended up using my domain, but using gmail to host my email. No one blacklists gmail servers so it's completely solved that problem. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of gmail's web interface, but I use Thunderbird so it more or less doesn't matter. I don't remember the cost, but it's relatively inexpensive all things considered. If you're against using Gmail, Microsoft also offers basically the same service and I've read it's a slightly better deal.

Regardless, at least for me, being able to send and receive emails consistently without a headache is worth spending a few bucks a month on. Using @gmail.com vs @mydomain.com is also worth a few extra bucks. It gives you a bit more of a professional look.
Regarding the blacklisting of your email host, bouncing YOUR EMAILS, we use smtp.com FOR DECADES, (we hosted email, before most of you knew what it was, 1992 i think)

You can redirect to a shared outbound on smtp.com or pay a bit extra for a private outbound server & ip.
If you do this, the monthly fee fora private ip is somewhat negotiable & solves all these problems

netsol

Google apps (or whatever they call it these days) can host your domain email for a fee IF YOU ARE NOT OUTLOOK PEOPLE and want webmail. I have a personal dislike for their service, but MANY fortune 500 companies prefer them,

White Haus

Not a Newbie
The only thing that rubbed me wrong was having to pay for seats. I assume that means each email address that you have? We have around 5 but they are just to keep stuff organized a little better.

Yeah same here. I need to talk to them about that to understand exactly how it works. I believe you only pay per "person" and not necessarily per email address. For us we have an "admin", "info", and "accounting" email and none of them are technically for just one user - as far as I know we wouldn't pay for those. Definitely need to clarify because it could add up quick - and coming from a free service any new expense isn't something I'm super excited about. Bad enough we already have 500 other monthly subscription fees.

Christian @ 2CT Media

To be clear I'm not tech savvy when it comes to this kind of thing. Might be something obvious that I already have and will work.
Gmail has decided to go subscription and their "free" option looks difficult to get. Sign up on a waiting list, wait for the overlords to contact you, blah blah blah.
Yeah I know "it's the cost of doing business" just shut up and pay the monthly, but I don't want to.

Already have enough monthly vampires and don't feel like adding another account I have to pay for and manage.
So what are the free alternatives that would work with my desktop and iPhone?
Are you using Gmail (w/ @gmail.com domain) or GSuite (w/ @ your domain)?

If you are using Gmail, that is not changing. If you are using GSuite the free is going away but they are offering accounts as low as $5/mo through Google One depending on what you need.

rjssigns

Are you using Gmail (w/ @gmail.com domain) or GSuite (w/ @ your domain)?

If you are using Gmail, that is not changing. If you are using GSuite the free is going away but they are offering accounts as low as $5/mo through Google One depending on what you need.
GSuite apparently since our email ends in .com. Last time I used any of the tools was during lockdown.
Students would send packaged files through Drive but the campus recently switched everything to Microsoft.

Other than that it's strictly mail and not much at that since clients text or call.
My better half is looking into the free email we get with through our web host(GoDaddy)

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We use gsuite / google workspace.
It's like $5 per month per account. More if you need more storage etc... So if you have 2 emails, it's $10 per month. 3 account $15 etc.
All connected to outlook.

We use to host via our web hosting, but moved it to gsuite as it's just better. Better smap blocker etc too.
Also it allows you to sign in via google, so if you use chrome, you can have a dedicated browser for work with your own bookmarks etc.

You also get the gsuite apps like google sheets, google drive, google docs etc. So you dont need MS office realistically, except it's all online. Great for collaborating.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Running ours thru the website, we have Thunderbird on the computers. It downloads the email off the server to the computer. I have it set to keep the emails on the server for 10 days and then it will remove the email from the server. That way you can get recent emails thru webmail if needed for some sort of remote situation, but the emails on the server are piling up.

I have the Thunderbird file backed up thru OneDrive to keep old emails safe. Then I set the preferences to where it automatically deletes emails that are older than 3 years to keep the file size down.

I also BCC all outgoing emails to our @gmail.com account for an extra backup. I haven't needed to use that yet, but it gives me a extra sense of security.

netsol

Yeah same here. I need to talk to them about that to understand exactly how it works. I believe you only pay per "person" and not necessarily per email address. For us we have an "admin", "info", and "accounting" email and none of them are technically for just one user - as far as I know we wouldn't pay for those. Definitely need to clarify because it could add up quick - and coming from a free service any new expense isn't something I'm super excited about. Bad enough we already have 500 other monthly subscription fees.
Many of these plans, the first 10 addresses are free. The same for shared and 'room boxes' (conference room schedule)

Johnny Best

Have excite email, two yahoo accounts, four gmails and run them with Thunderbird and also an AT&T email. On my IPhone I use the Gmail app and the Yahoo app and the Mailboxes and not a problem on any of them. Except keeping up with my identity of who I am on them. Think this site links me to Martin chuzzelwit @ gmail.com

WildWestDesigns

So, now what happened ?? Why do people write things and then remove it ??
Would you rather be inflicted with my usual omnibus novella post on something that more likely not many people care about the particular nuance that was discussed(which in of itself, is fine, to each their own)? And since there (to my knowledge) is no delete post option and have to put something in place of what was written, that's what people get. Sometimes the "...." is the better option.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Would you rather be inflicted with my usual omnibus novella post on something that more likely not many people care about the particular nuance that was discussed(which in of itself, is fine, to each their own)? And since there (to my knowledge) is no delete post option and have to put something in place of what was written, that's what people get. Sometimes the "...." is the better option.

How in the heck can I answer that dumb question ?? I can't see it anymore, so I have no clue what you wrote. No way, I can form an opinion.

I agree with you, that many of your posts do go on and on and on and on and on. I generally get lost, than my eyes glaze to the next post, but I'm guilty of the same stuff. It would be different if most of us understood how some of the stuff is related to the current conversation(s), but that again is your choice, not mine.

Anyway, by deleting what you wrote, makes it unfair to those who might wanna read and gain something out of it, but YOU took that choice away...... thus my concern for such a post that was obviously re-read and then deleted for contant..... or lack thereof. Many times, I have written about people who hit the 'send' button before truly reading and understanding the nonsense they wrote. Now, ya hafta backpedal...................