• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GBC For 8 years - Sales rep says new ones are junk!!

Brands Imaging

So I've had a 63" GBC Acrtic Titan for about 7 or 8 years and it's really been good to us. We're at the point now where we're running about 600' per week through the thing. It's really been taking a beating over the last few years so I decided to give it some love a year ago and had them send a tech out. He tighten up some bolts, brought us a new pedal and gave it a once over. Ever since then we've been having even more issues. The sensor trips when you sneeze on the thing (like 20 times per laminating session) and it's just overall sad looking. I think it's time.

So my question to you guys is how long are you getting out of your laminator? Has anyone had GBC and bought another? Has anyone bought a new GBC? My sales guy said "the company is a shell of what they used to be" and that all the top guys left and started a new company, GFP. thoughts?

jfiscus

Rap Master
The last laminator I purchased was from that new company GFP, and it is an awesome laminator. The new ones are easy load also. Just get your rolls loaded and webbed, and let 'er roll. No problems from it at all.

We have an 86" GBC Orca MFG circa 1998 that still functions like new. Runs flawless and much better than some of our other laminators that are about 5 -7 years old. 1- 62" Seal and a 62" AGL. The new laminators are plastic junk with cheap rollers. I would suggest going to S&P Brokerage or Global Garage and find an older machine.

Markus59

We have a GBC Orca III that we bought in 1997, still looks and runs like new. We run appox. 400' of pressure sensitive cold lam and adhesive a week. Also we have a tech come in about every 18 mos. or so and give it a once over (adjustments, lube, etc.). Unfortunately they don't make them a more.

WB

We went from a 15 year old Titan to a new SPIRE III..

All I can say is that I'd rather have a decent working Titan then a new spire..

it's been nothing but trouble since we got it, Tech have been in 3 times now. It's supposed to be running perfectly but we can seem to get consistent result out of it.

You have to adjust the tension constantly.

I'd stay aware from this model if I were you. there's way to much going on with this machine for me. We even went for the Auto take up roll which I could never see working. I'd never walk away from the machine that long.

jfiscus

Rap Master
One good thing is that you have a good rep!
Most reps would be content to just take your money and their commission.

Brands Imaging

I don't really trust the sales reps at all - I just use them as a barometer for strengths and weaknesses of each machine.
I'd like to stay under 10k. I paid 7500 for Actic Titan and really think I got my moneys worth out of it.

Also...The more I read the more I see with all quality laminators you really have to learn what they like and eat that learning curve.....
I'm SO not looking forward to that!!

Mike,,,,Will I see you in Chi Town next week?

Drip Dry

The last laminator I purchased was from that new company GFP, and it is an awesome laminator. The new ones are easy load also. Just get your rolls loaded and webbed, and let 'er roll. No problems from it at all.

This, for sure

Had a Ledco, which I thought was top of the line. After getting the GFP, I can't believe how hard the Ledco was to use.

3 years... not one problem and is a breeze to use

I think about 6500. 3 years ago

insty

We bought a GBC Eagle 105 about 16 years ago that has never caused us any problems. About 7 years ago based on our past good experience we bought the GBC 2064WF. What a pile of junk!
As we are in a rural market we don't have actual GBC techs in the area. The former contractor was good and told me many horror stories they've come across. GBC contracted Pitney Bowes in our region for service and I've since sent them packing. Luckily for the last 2 years we've been able to maintain it ourselves and haven't had to call for service.

According to many in the printing industry GBC had a bad spell where many of their tech's and engineers left the company. They got together and started GFP. I have a new heat assist GFP 563TH being delivered next week. I'll keep the old Eagle and 2064 going until they croak, But I'm not putting another dime into them.

I paid about $18K for the GBC 2064 and now have around $27K into it. heater rods kept going bad and the sensors keep tripping. We've found a work around for the sensors but I would never ever again recommend another piece of GBC equipment.