• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GBC Titan Laminator speed control & static electricty

cartoad

While laminating a lot of panels this afternoon reached towards the speed control knob and got a large static electricty discharge, stopped the Laminator cold! I checked the fuses, both ok, fiddled with the knob by turning up all the way, and now it is running again, but slower than before. The speed adjustment does not work at the previous settings.
Has anyone had this happen to them? If so what was the repair?
We are out in the middle of nowhere so any repairs will be done by me.
Thanks in advance.

Steve Werner

Can't speak to why your laminator stopped but you may want to look into static string from a company called Jemmco. Properly grounded it will eliminate your static problems.

cartoad

Thanks guys, didn't get a chance to call GBC today, but will be in the shop early tomorrow to make some east coast calls. Used it a lot today, with the control all the way to the right, so I am hoping that it is just the control that I will need to replace.
Will post what the suggested repair and parts cost is here in case someone else needs the info.

SqueeGee

So we just had the same thing happen to us yesterday afternoon. Like cartoad, I'm hoping a new control panel fixes the machine. I waiting to hear from GBC about the cost of the part now.

Regarding this:

Can't speak to why your laminator stopped but you may want to look into static string from a company called Jemmco. Properly grounded it will eliminate your static problems.

I found the website for the part that Steve mentions above:

http://www.jemmco.com/p-139-jemmstat-all-copper-anti-static-tinsel.aspx

and I'm wondering if anyone else has used this? How did you mount it?

Thanks!

SqueeGee

I just ordered the "Display PCB" from GBC by calling 1-800-790-7787 and giving them part number 706011156 that I found here:

http://gbcconnect.com/assets/docs/TITAN_110_165_PARTS.pdf

for $436.15 plus shipping from Wisconsin. The rep told me that the part number had changed but they still kept this part in stock and it's supposed to go out today. For $500, I sure hope it fixes the problem.

I'm even more interested in how to alleviate our static electricity issue, now! Can anyone post up what has worked for them?

SqueeGee

The control panel fixed the problem.

Now we just need to figure out how to deal with the static. I talked to a guy named Bill at stopstatic.com yesterday. He's supposed to be calling me back with some suggestions.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I have a roll of the copper tinsel (same as linked above at Jemmco) but have just not yet had a chance to install it on our laminator and printer yet. Soon though.... - I even have the same laminator Arctic Titan 165. :)

The Equipment Guy

We sell the Staticure system, have many customers that swear by it. Here is an email I sent out on it to our customers a while ago, includes a decent video & some suggestions...

At this time of year static can be a real issue for digital printers, laminators and other machinery. Through TAS Films and Staticure, we at The Equipment Guy would like to offer the following solution.

Static on Flatbeds

If customers are printing on a thicker, rigid substrate like a corrugated plastic, it will not suffice to just remove the static from one side; it is hiding also on the other side of the substrate. Also, customers have tried to use the Static Elastic cord on top of the substrate, while it’s lying on the flatbed. It’s impossible to remove static from above, when the material is lying flat. It must be in open space for the cord to work. The static charge "hides" between the substrate and the machine/table. Static also hides in between sheets. You cannot remove it from above because it is hiding underneath.

This is why other static eliminators like copper tinsel and electric static bars do not work. They are trying to remove static from above the substrate, while the substrate is lying flat on the machine or on a stack. This is impossible.

2 options we can offer are the following:

1. Buy the Staticure Wide format Kit: Stretch 1 piece of the static elastic cord across the table. Then stretch another piece of the static elastic cord across the table, above or below the first piece. The pieces should be no more than one inch apart. Prior to printing, pass the sheet between the two pieces of cord. This will simultaneously remove static from both sides of the material. Operators will also want to wear the static gloves while handling the substrate to prevent the regeneration of static on the surface.

2. Buy the Large Flatbed Kit (wand): Operators can accomplish the same thing as in Option #1 by using the large ionWand. This has the two pieces of elastic on a convenient “wand” one inch apart. Pass the substrate through the wand as shown in the video. This is the most certain option, because it is possible on some machines to set up Option #1 incorrectly on the table. Here is a link to the video showing the ionWand used on a flatbed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giiQmkIOyCg

This video also shows how operators will use the gloves to handle the substrates to prevent regeneration of static on the surface from handling.

Although using the ionWand is a bit more work for operators, it is worth it to save the expensive substrates from printing defects that will ruin the prints.

Static on Roll to roll printers, laminators and other machinery
Staticure is the global leader of static eliminators in the wide format digital industry. Static cure provides anti static solutions for roll-to-roll printers with their innovative, patented Staticure cord kits. To see how one printer solved the static problems on his roll-to-roll printer click on the following video and see how easy it is to install the Staticure Wide Format Kit on a roll to roll machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xex8FG0ILw

Pricing

p/n STATICFS SMALL FLATBED KIT (Wand 25") $ 140

p/n STATICFL LARGE FLATBED KIT (Wand 50") $ 215

p/n STATICW WIDE FORMAT KIT (8 magnets and 50 meters of cord*) $ 179

All the above kits include Static-cure gloves and Static-cure spray (4 oz.)
*This is the stretched length; it is approx 3.2 meters unstretched. Above prices do not include shipping.

If you wish to order Staticure kits please contact your sales rep from The Equipment Guy or TAS Films.

SqueeGee

Thanks for the great info, Craig!

BTW, the updated part number on my invoice for this part was 638900442 in case anyone else runs into this issue.