• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GCC Expert 24 or VE R24?

zx10r203

First post here!

I will be getting into the sign making industry if all the pieces of this puzzle fall in the right places. I am looking for my first cutter/plotter. Money is running low so I am on a budget. I have been making designs/masks from printing a image on liner drawer paper and hand cutting it with an exact knife. Made a lot and want to setup my game.

Looking for something decent but cheap. I know those words don't go together but for now its all I can afford.

Was looking at the GCC Expert 24 or Vinyl Express R24, any opinions?

Won't be running it a lot or daily basis but if things work out, I can eventually make a much bigger investment.

Thanks for the help!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
How much do you have to invest? There is a lot more than just the cutter/plotter you'll need to buy.

Have you looked at getting a Graphtec CE5000-60 24"?

zx10r203

How much do you have to invest? There is a lot more than just the cutter/plotter you'll need to buy.

Have you looked at getting a Graphtec CE5000-60 24"?

I got about $500 to start with may be up to $700 but that will be cutting close.
I have a friend who will be giving some rolls of vinyl he has left over and still have a good quantity of vinyl left on them. Most of the stuff I will be doing is small. I do have a person who is looking for some graphics for his boat.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
honestly $500 isn't enough. I know it's tempting to buy one of those knockoffs but do you know all of the materials and supplies you need to actually make your first sign/sticker?

You need at least a $1k even if you are going with the cheaper plotters. I started with a CE5000-60 and have another $1-2k in vinyl, masking, and tools.

zx10r203

honestly $500 isn't enough. I know it's tempting to buy one of those knockoffs but do you know all of the materials and supplies you need to actually make your first sign/sticker?

You need at least a $1k even if you are going with the cheaper plotters. I started with a CE5000-60 and have another $1-2k in vinyl, masking, and tools.

Thanks for the help.
Vinyl and masking I have. Like I said I have a friend how will be giving me a large amount of vinyl and masking.
All the stuff I have been making is small and simple. Simple enough to be hand cut with an exacto knife. It just takes too long. Just need a simple cutter to speed things up and when all the pieces of the puzzle fall in place, I'll upgrade. Just need something to get started.
Was just looking for an opinion on the cutters.

Thanks

J Hill Designs

Don't know about those particular cutters, but if the carriage moves and it holds a knife I would bet they'll do just fine :thumb:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Do a search on this forum for whatever specific cutter you are looking to buy. There is a ton of posts about every plotter on here, low to high end.

you might also go on eBay and look for a used model.

Last edited:

petrosgraphics

roland has the cam-1 24" cutter, older versions are a little noisy but are a workhorse,
you should be able to find one used.... it is a 24" so they are more likely to be avail.

Sign Prophet

Honestly, I would look for a good used graphtec or roland. I have seen them on craigslist from 500-1000. The learning curve on those chinese machines are steep and could end up putting you in the looney bin. I started with a Master 30xp and it was a huge piece of junk (I know use it as a boat anchor). That being said, I heard that some of the vinyl express machines are made by graphtec, But the r series is made by a company named Redsail. I wish i would have waited and avoided the extra cost of the junk machine until I got my current Graphtec. Just my 2 cents