• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

G'day from Melbourne Australia

Ozzy

Hey there guys.

I'm a commercial, residential & automotive window tinter of 16 years and 4 years ago decided to work for myself.

I didnt know anything about vinyl at the time until i got some quotes on signage for my car and I thought that i would give it a go and do it myself.

I went and bought a few metres of Avery metallics, silver and blues and cut out by hand on my bench intricate flames to go on my midnight blue coloured 02 Ford xr8 Ute (if I can find a pic I'll try to post it).

Imagine not knowing about app tape and pealing the flames on my tint board and then applying it to to car. I did wet the car and the film which i supose helped. Man, did i think there must be an easier way.

It took me two days just to do the sides but I was pretty happy with the flame job. The lettering i got computer cut a few days later and thats when i saw there was such a thing as app tape.

After that i always wanted to purchase a plotter and after investigating saw them to be pretty expensive so I left the idea alone for a while. Until recently, I purchased a Roland GX 640 (my film supplier recommended this one). Vinyl Master Expt edition is the software I use to run it.

Truly, I am a novice with much to learn and I have many basic questions to ask. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to show you how silly i was today. I thought I set up the vinyl in the machine properly. I had the right side set up at the third grit mark of the fist grit roller but the first pinch roller was over at the first grit mark.
So when it started cutting i was wondering why the knife was fully coming off the vinyl at the right side.

Well I guess i need to now buy a new blade and the blade protector.
The blade just doesnt seem to cut nice anymore and the teflon protector is scored a fair bit.

Anyhow, thats my long introduction and hope to start learnin :help

Cheers.
Ozzy.

Ken

Welcome from BC..the school of hard knocks is always open..Dont forget to use the search feature here on many questions you may have.
Cheers!
Ken