• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gemini Lettering on uneven surface

rob nichols

Installing Gemini lettering on a stone veneer wall similar to the attached photo, but even worse. LOL. Went to inspect the job today, and the stone is very uneven and has varying joints between the stone. Any tips on drilling for the stud mounts to avoid "wandering", cracking, or any other issues would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• wall_sign.jpg
    wall_sign.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 673

henryz

maybe a clear template so you can reposition your template incase the holes fall in between the stone. I would also use a flat piece of wood to space the letters off and they are even from the wall.

Billct2

We usually use a coro template for a rough install, but the plywood may be better in this case. And a nice set of fresh bits, start small. And a straight edge/level so the faces end up on the same plane.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We usually used a solid piece of heavy Cor-X or PVC, but the wood does sound like a good idea, except for not seeing where all your holes are gonna go, since it's so uneven. You might try a piece of clear polycarb 10mm Cor-x and then you can see everything going on underneath. The stuff ain't cheap, though.

signbrad

A template that allows you to see your hole placement before you drill is a great idea. And though I have always simply eyeballed the letters to keep them on an even plane (viewing them from the side or from below), I can see that using a level would do a better job.

A problem with stone sometimes is the tendency for a stone to split when hammer-drilled, especially when the hole is near an edge. I believe this problem is made even worse by using a heavy hammer drill rather than a small one. The big ones (like a heavy Hilti) have a coarser hammering action. I think they crack stone quicker than the small drills do.
Would starting with small bit sizes help, as Billct2 suggests? Maybe. I would do anything I could think of to make this job successful.

Sometimes challenges are fun, aren't they? At least the stones have relatively flat faces and are not rounded like creek stones. o_O

Brad

Johnny Best

I have used masonite and used spray 3M77 glue to attach pattern. Pre drill holes in shop so when you stick the drill bit through you can see where it lands. I hang a small eyebolt on my bit so I go in straight and not at an angle. Also used different lenghts studs so all letters are flat even when looked at from the sides. Also get some acrylic paints ( from the pic, looks like yellow ochre, brown sienna & white ) in tubes from the art store and mix to match stone so metal gray studs blend in and do not stand out so bad when viewing from different angles

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The best way I've found is to:

1.) Take an awl and push it through the paper pattern where each stud placement is marked. Make a hole just large enough to put the tip of a Sharpie through.
2.) Tape your pattern in place. Take a Sharpie or marker of contrasting color to the stone and mark every hole directly on the stone.
3.) Leave the top edge of the pattern taped in place. Remove all other tape. Fold the pattern up and out of the way and tape it in place.
4.) Bring a roll of 1" wide Gorilla tape. Rip off 1½" long (±) pieces. Place a piece by each mark you made on the wall. Aim a corner of the tape so it points where the center of the hole is to be drilled.
5.) Use either a hammer drill or a small SDS rotary hammer (ie: the Milwaukee 12v is great for this) and drill your holes.
6.) If the bit wanders or the stone flakes/breaks off, the tape will still be in place pointing to where the hole should be.
7.) Ensuring the letters are flush to each other and plumb is simply a matter of patience.
01_20.jpg
04_1_1.jpg
05_1.jpg
07-copy.jpg
09_4.jpg