• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gemini Letters Re-Paint question....

artsnletters

I just got some cast aluminum Gemini letters for a client to match some existing ones....and the color is not too close.My fault. Instead of shipping them back i want to simply re-paint them. Do any of you out there think that a spray-bomb like Rustoleum or Krylon (a name brand) will last? Or should i use a single stage automotive urethane & use my gun? I figure it needs to be good for at least 7-10 years although the existing letters MAY need a repaint in the future.
Tim
PS i don't have access to Matthews paint system just a auto paint jobber down the st.

G-Artist

Gemini folks are usually great to deal with.

Contact them and I am sure they will tell you the very best way to
deal with the issue so you get it right the first try.

petrosgraphics

be on the safe side, send them back to gemini, good people, easy to talk to......
spray cans would be the worst thing you could do......

Letterbox Mike

Preferably sandblast them to the bare metal, prime with an automotive etching primer, then a filler primer, sand the faces between primer coats with 400 grit, spray a few coats of single-stage automotive and a few coats of auto clear. Will hold up great.

If you can avoid it, don't use rattle cans, but If you must spray bomb them, I'd recommend going to an auto parts store like Pep boys or Auto Zone and getting their automotive sprays like DupliColor. I've got DupliuColor painted things that have been outside for 5-7 years and still look pretty good. Make sure you use their clear coat.