• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gemini studs in a pinch

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Unless I'm not understanding the question correctly, we have gotten all threaded rods and cut them down before at Lowes or Menards.

Yea, I just thought that when you cut them it breaks the thread... but come to think of it that was for metal letters... maybe this would work with acrylic... gonna go try.. i got some laying around

Wesley Powell

Account Rep
Yea, I just thought that when you cut them it breaks the thread... but come to think of it that was for metal letters... maybe this would work with acrylic... gonna go try.. i got some laying around
I have found it best to thread a nut on to them before you cut them and then once its cut back the thread back off and it helps with the threads.

bannertime

There was a post awhile back about ordering the studs in bulk from McMaster Carr. We bought them in many different lengths. Then we'll trim on site, if needed, with a bolt cutter. Works just fine with the acrylic pads. In shop we'll use an air powered cut-off tool. Line them all up in a vice and have some fun.

Andy D

I always just use heavy lineman pliers to cut the allthread rods, and if the threads get fouled up, it's not really as issue, they still go all the way in and the cross threading just prevents any backing out.
Worst case, if you need to, use a table ginder and taper down the first 3-4 rows of thread... I used to help hang sprinkler pipe years ago and that was the method.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No problem. They are very common so I would imagine you'll have no problem finding them locally.

You win the helpful award of the day! My install is back on track! I'm cutting the heads off
20191114_163630.jpg
20191114_163633.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Did Gemini short you on the amount you needed?

No .. they are "Gemini" type letters but they were manufactured somewhere else... It was a national sign company that is having us do the local install and they forgot to put the studs in... and the replacement studs were delayed thanks to UPS. The job-site is 2 hours away and I need a lift and employee so my flexibility on re-scheduing this one was limited.

Now all we need is Gino's Happy Ending post and this one will be put to bed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, another happy ending to someone's request..... and in very good time, I might add. :)