• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General Formulations Wrap Film

JLD984

I've been using General Formulations products for most of my work and have been very happy with it. Just wondering if anybody has experience with their wrap films and whether they go as well as 3M, Avery etc? The cheaper price has made me wonder. Any help appreciated.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
lol - its cheaper for a reason

No, there is really no comparison other than they are both materials that one prints on which have adhesive on one side. I had a place come in that some other shop had wrapped their vehicle with it only about a year prior. It was popping up in quite a lot of places and it in general did not look very good. They wanted it removed since they were selling the truck. I did a small test and it left about 99% of the adhesive behind and the adhesive itself was a nightmare to remove. I told them what we would charge to remove it and cleanup the adhesive and they freaked out a bit. It was more than the entire wrap cost them to begin with.

My opinion - sure you might save the customer a couple of bucks on the front end but in the long run you are doing them a disservice by not educating them on the differences in materials. We will not sell it. I have removed wraps that were done with top tier materials 5+ years after the fact that still looked as good as that one did after one year and they removed with very little adhesive residue fairly quickly and easily. Just my opinion.... you get what you pay for, the end customer - possibly not....

That being said I'm not saying all General Formulations material is junk. They have their place and some good products, I just don't think wrap vinyl is one of them.

JLD984

Thanks for the advice. Come to think of it I've done a few partial wraps with GF Automark 230 and it didn't remove well at all. I'm about to do a full wrap on my own vehicle so I'll want something that removes well down the track. I'll go with one of the big three. Which product do we suggest?