Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geometry wizards?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Ken, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Hi Folks.
    I am tasked with applying reflective material to various sizes of traffic cones. You see them all the time with flagging crews, construction sites etc. The reflective material is wrapped around the cone (I would like to have a bit of an overlap). How do you lay this out for cutting on a plotter?
    Anyone been there...done that?
    Thanks.
    Ken

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Instead of taxing your mind, just take a piece of paper, wrap it around, cut it back to where you want it, take it back off and scan the shape.

3. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    HYbrid solution...?

I haven't cut it out yet, but this is what I have so far. I took Gino's advice to determine some of the dimensions then using some node editing created this layout in Coreldraw. I think it still needs some tweaking.
    Thanks Gino.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  4. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville
    I actually had a bunch of different sized tapered buckets that I had to make labels that wrapped around and overlapped. Took a bit of trig and lots of google searching but I came up with an excel spreadsheet that I was able to put in the diameter at the top of the bucket, the diameter at the bottom of the bucket and the height of the label and it gave me dimensions to plug into an illustrator template that I came up with that allowed me to warp the artwork to. I used static cling to test my cuts to make it easier to apply and remove, and got amazing results. If you need me to dig those out, I can do that... but if Gino's technique works for a one-off, Go for it. It would take some time to walk you through the process using my way.

5. Doc Savage

Doc Savage Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Delta, Ohio
    At our shop we usually use this calculator to figure it out. Of course we have to figure out all the info needed to input into that program

6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
  7. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville