• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gerber composer,corel,Illustrator which one is the easiest and easy to learn

scootinbob

I have been using Grebers Composer for about 10years and just bought Corel draw x5 and now Im thinking of purchasing Illustrator. My question is will Illustrator be more set up like Composer or Corel. Corel is a little more difficult to use for me than Composer so I dont use it as much. I sand carve glasses and put in about 8-14 hr days designing things for people. So if Illustrator would be similar to Composer that would be cool cause using the key usb and if it was to go bad I would be kinda screwed waiting for gerber to send me another one.

Thanks,Bob

signage

You said you already bought Corel, so do a search on here for Corel and you will find links to tutorials.

Billct2

I learned on Composer and found the transition to Corel and/or Adobe difficult.
I still use Gerber for sign design, I prefer many of the tools like outline, arc, distortion.
But I use Corel for a lot of digital work and printing.
Often I will layout a sign in Composer then export to Corel to add images and effects, then send to print.
So I'd take Signage's suggestion and start learning Corel
Mike Jackson has many good articles on Gerber design in one of the sign mags.

OldPaint

goober is all by itself......not like any others. i was introduced to GA6 and i was proficient in corel ...........and GA6 was like trying to to use a 10 pound sledge hammer to put in finishing nails))))))))))))))))))))))) more aggravating then anything i ever used. corel, sign lab, & flexi all have some similarities.....so transistion is not to confusing.

i'm the same as billct2.......have used composer for 6 years and only last year went over to illustrator and photoshop as i bought a roland. still use composer everyday and prefer the tools as billct2 says also.....

both programmes as very different!

Jillbeans

I started with Gerber in 1998 and didn't get the guts to try Corel until 2005.
If you give it a chance, Corel is really smart, and has so many more useful features than Composer.
Like Signage says, the tutorials are really helpful.
I'm a very stubborn person, however, and usually I learn best from making a lot of mistakes. Or from calling Signage.
I rarely if ever use Composer now, mainly only to transfer my old files to ai for use in Corel.
Love....Jill

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have had to switch programs a lot... Gerber, Flexi, Casmate, Sign Wizard, Signlab, Illy Corel, Freehand and Canvas....

10 years with just one vector software, you are going to have some adjustment to another program... I'm an Illy user but know Corel well, to me they are similar, so why buy illustrator when you already have a very capable layout program like Corel? Just take the time to adjust. Lynda.com have some good tutorials.

It's been my policy after using all that software that using a more open software that other programs can open. That way if a software is no longer supported or your dongle burns, you have an affordable program to keep you going.

WildWestDesigns

10 years with just one vector software, you are going to have some adjustment to another program... I'm an Illy user but know Corel well, to me they are similar, so why buy illustrator when you already have a very capable layout program like Corel? Just take the time to adjust. Lynda.com have some good tutorials.

I have always found that one program isn't always quite as efficient on some things versus another and at times those roles might be reversed as well.

I prefer Ai to Corel. I'm slower with Corel compared to Ai, however, most of my embroidery programs either have their "backbone" based on Corel or they work side by side with Corel, so from a workflow standpoint I went with Corel as well.

I would also second lynda.com as a resource. It has paid for itself many times over with helping me with my learning curve.

Rick

I have always found that one program isn't always quite as efficient on some things versus another and at times those roles might be reversed as well.

You can't make that decision if you have not taken the time to actually learn the software... if the guy can barely make a box, who cares of the program can make translucent gradients or make exact node placements with your keyboard.

Learn Corel, it takes time, then when you see an unmet need, look into another software, no need to buy every program when you can;t use the ones you have.

WildWestDesigns

You can't make that decision if you have not taken the time to actually learn the software... if the guy can barely make a box, who cares of the program can make translucent gradients or make exact node placements with your keyboard.

Learn Corel, it takes time, then when you see an unmet need, look into another software, no need to buy every program when you can;t use the ones you have.

By slower, I'm talking about some things that take 18 steps that might take 3 in another program. Or something that has to be done man., but I can highlight it and press a button and it's more or less done.

For instance, I have one embroidery program that you have to man. arc text. You type it straight, put it on a straight line and arc it by manipulating the node on the line. It doesn't always make for a perfect arch. While I can go into another program and click a button and I'm done. If I was going for the artistic approach it wouldn't matter, but I need it done quickly, efficiently without having to make sure I moved that node just right. Do I know how to do it? Yes, but it makes for a pain and it cuts into my bottom line as embroidery patterns are based on stitch count not total time working with them and that's more of a standard. Now that isn't the only thing, that was just one that was right there for me to mention.

Now I'm not advocating just doing the easiest path as I appreciate the work that is involved and if I need to do it myself I can, however, when you are having to deal with workflow, having some things automated is good.

Rick

By slower, I'm talking about some things that take 18 steps that might take 3 in another program. Or something that has to be done man., but I can highlight it and press a button and it's more or less done.

For instance, I have one embroidery program that you have to man. arc text. You type it straight, put it on a straight line and arc it by manipulating the node on the line. It doesn't always make for a perfect arch. While I can go into another program and click a button and I'm done. If I was going for the artistic approach it wouldn't matter, but I need it done quickly, efficiently without having to make sure I moved that node just right.

Now I'm not advocating just doing the easiest path as I appreciate the work that is involved and if I need to do it myself I can, however, when you are having to deal with workflow, having some things automated is good.

Not gonna waste my time with you..

To the OP... take the time to learn Corel.

Sideshow

I wish I knew the other program to compare, but I learned with adobe and corel first and crash course on my own... dummies guides are your friend. Thats what I did. read and read then experiment with their lessons.. just my suggestion.

Took a week to loose the intimidation of a new program, and another week or so to get basics down. advanced stuff, I learn as I need to use it..dummies guuides are my friend

Bill Modzel

If Gerber ever updated MacImprint you would never have to leave Illustrator to use your Edge. . . . If. . .
it's the simplest Edge environment that they ever made.

signswi

Illustrator for most everything, export to the weird specialty software when necessary to import and "clean up" or the particular needs of that print/cut software/system. I'm a designer first and a sign guy second (or like, thirteenth) and don't like wasting my time working in software I can only use in one niche industry. You'd never use Composer in any other field, for example.