• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber dimension 200 compatible with any modern software?

5041shelby

hi
I just bought a very very old 1995 gerber dimension 200

Does anyone know if artpath can open .gcode .tap or .txt files and run gcode created in other programs such as vectric aspire or edgecam etc

If not , is there any alternative program and post processor out ther that will work with gerber artpath?

Hello
Did you find a work around for your router? I see this is a year old. I'm going to look at one tomorrow. I was looking at installing a new control panel a to run open source software.

5041shelby

no i have not
im using stock omega 2.0 which has composer and artpath to create and send toolpath to my d200 and it works ok..one of the biggest downfalls of the d200 is that it is insanely slow..54ipm is ridiculous..but this is hobby for me so im leaving it as is...its a very well built cnc i got mine real cheap..couldnt pass it up.

since my d200 is 220v and i dont have 220v in my garage...im using a 110v to 220v 3000w transformer to power my d200 which seems to work fine for my situation

i have no found any 3rd party software that will create and send proper file to d200

Last edited:

Bert Wondervan

You can also operate your old Gerber with the right software in Windows 10, 8, 7.

AXc4eVP.jpg

astro8

EnRoute has Gerber D-200 listed.
Signlab/ProfileLab has it listed too.
54 inches per minute?:eek:

Last edited:

5041shelby

Yes 54ipm

Very slow but doable
Heck my vintage MAXNC-10 tops out at 20ipm lol and my vintage labvolt mill(sherline 5400 based) tops at 20ipm also.

For some reason the 1990s cnc technology was very slow.

I like the little maxnc..its a pretty robust little micro mill.

And just becsuse a software has a post for a cmc doesnt mean it works....ive got an old new hermes v3400 that is listed in enroute and it doesnt work at all...not compatible...the output toolpath file looks nothing like it should....i ended up using a cheap arduino uno grbl board and works great now.

Last edited:

TJ_murphy

Hi,

I bought an old Dimension 200 router many many years ago. It came with Art Path CD discs only. It also came with a parallel block key that went into the 25-pin parallel port.. So I had it hooked up to a very old computer with XP and a parallel port I was able to install the software. Even back then it was not easy to install. I was able to install Art Path in compatibility mode or something.

Well that computer died the other day and now I do not know what to do. I read a post above that the person was using a old stock Omega 2.0 software with composer and Art Path. Is that the best way to go still? That was a couple of years ago that post.

Any help to get this old dog working again would be appreciated.

Adam.Foster

TJ_murphy If you have the Omega serial number you can upgrade to Omega 8.0 and run Artpath on windows 10 or 11. You will need the Gerber USB to serial adapter to communicate with the D200.

TJ_murphy

TJ_murphy If you have the Omega serial number you can upgrade to Omega 8.0 and run Artpath on windows 10 or 11. You will need the Gerber USB to serial adapter to communicate with the D200.
I only got the Art Path software when I got the machine. I think it used to be a separate program and later it was pulled into Omega. So basically I would have to buy the Omega. I contacted a Grimco company because Omega makes you buy from a dealer. He has still not gotten back to me with a confirmation if the Omega CP comes with Art Path and how much. Any help in understanding this would be appreciated.

Adam.Foster

If you have a parallel key it should have a serial number on it and state what version it is. If its Graphix Advantage then the upgrade would be to Omega CP version 8 and that would include Composer and Artpath. Where are you located?

JBurton

Signtologist
Dunno if this helps anyone, but here's a gcode to dxf converter, should also handle .tap, .nc, .ngc, .cnc, they're all the same text based gcode.

Gaugeco Inc.

These guys make kits to convert your Gerber CNC router to new and also from the looks of it can convert any CNC machine...

Unique Packaging Co
14365 8th Avenue, Marne, Michigan 49435, United States
616-431-5501
If interested in a retrofit kit for your router, please give us a call. They could build a complete kit ready to run with no soldering required. Tons of addons available it looks like.

JBurton

Signtologist
These guys make kits to convert your Gerber CNC router to new and also from the looks of it can convert any CNC machine...

Unique Packaging Co
14365 8th Avenue, Marne, Michigan 49435, United States
616-431-5501
If interested in a retrofit kit for your router, please give us a call. They could build a complete kit ready to run with no soldering required. Tons of addons available it looks like.
What?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i would think the d200 is slow BECAUSE IT IS SLOW
not because of the complexity of the instructions sent from the software
converting file type is not going to do it for you IMHO (although my friends say i have very few humble opinions)

my gerber smc4 plotter is slow also, but, changing the file type is not going to turn it into a speed demon

JBurton

Signtologist
Guess I should have read the question better lol. I was in the market for converting my Gerber CNC into new electronics and a new board...anyways, those guys helped me.
But do they make unique packaging by day, and help folks with CNC retrofits at night? I just don't see anything on that website that indicates CNC retrofits are in the bellhouse.