• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 1 - Jagged lines with vector data!!?

Service Sign Co

I have Flexi, wouldn't even consider it with Edge printing. I know Flexi is suppose to work well,but don't even want to try it. Omega would be worthwhile and everyone should be happy with the result. That would be a shame to see a good printer go to waste. I'll never get rid of mine,someone would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands:Big Laugh

pindesign

Sorry to strike a nerve. The edge is GREAT for what it is designed for. It is just I have been trying to make small decals, something which it was never really meant to do well. (as I now know :)

When I have used the edge to make signs, yep, all good, using flexi worked very well.

I'm not sure omega would make any difference in interpolating my tiny graphic at a higher quality... But I can send you the .eps and you could try it if you like?

Last edited:

thesignexpert

Sorry to strike a nerve. The edge is GREAT for what it is designed for.

Absolutely right, the Edge IS great at what it is designed for. There are a lot of things that the Edge printer excels at and I enjoyed running it (just the dead on spot color matches for stuff I ran years apart was priceless).

I did not mean to infer that the Edge was a bad machine by any stretch of the imagination. I was just trying to shed some light on this particular problem with the small objects.

The idea that Gene@mpls suggested might work and would be worth a try.

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

Service Sign Co

You're not striking a nerve,I've printed very small,seems to me that is what it's best at. You're welcome to send a file if you like,I'll run it to see how it does. It should work without rotating, since it's not always an option.

signage

I disagree with you on not being able to make small decals. The Edge do great on small decals if run with software specifically meant to run it!

Bill Modzel

This is a test file I tried. These were small decals using the Microgramma font. Unfortunately, the vertical strokes printed with varied widths because of the Edge resolution. Being screen printers,we've developed a few practices to minimize the "stair stepping" that the screen mesh effects on our print. To solve or at least remedy this problem we printed the file using different angles until we found the one that "fixed" the issue. Notice the "D" in Kadlec and the "R's" in Corrosion.

We actually added the stepping in this case to improve the final print.

An angle that's close to vertical or horizontal will show the stepping issue much more than a say a 30° angle.
Kadlec.jpg

pindesign

Agreed.

I have since found rotating the graphic until the stepping is minimsed helps a great deal. My gerber tech says that the stepping I was getting is 'normal' and the standard way to 'fix' it is by rotating the image until it is optimised.

I am still curious however, as it seems inconsistent that some people say the Edge 1 is "GREAT" for small work and others - like myself - think it is less than great.

The 'small graphics' I am talking about are 3.5 x 7 cm. What are other people talking about when they say 'small'?

And in terms of quality - what are people's tolerances here? I WAS hoping to have a product that had perfect straight edges, as if it had been screen printed, so i look at any stepping and think 'its not perfect' - but maybe other people are willing to live with more stepping???

Like to hear your thoughts...

Cheers

Service Sign Co

Sorry I can't get a better picture,but I've been unable to find any signs of stepping. To satisfy my own curiosity I'll print some .32 or something real small soon, I guess with an EPS file. If they say it steps then who am I to argue. Cheers Don't guess this cheap camera has a focus

Last edited:

pindesign

Ok, so I have a product that is acceptable for my boss, and our clients. So I will say the problem is solved. We ran the graphic at an optimised angle. Thanks everyone!