• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 1 - Jagged lines with vector data!!?

pindesign

Hi folks,

We recently got a Gerber Edge 1, which to this point has been the bain of my existance!

I am trying to print a relatively simple spot color job, created from illustrator .eps file and printed using Flexi Sign 7.6 The artwork I am using is quite small, about 12cm x 5cm, but is also relatively simple.

The file seems to print fine, but the edge does not seem to be able to print smooth diagonal lines. The diagonal lines in the job have a distinct 'stepping' effect. The diagonal stepping also occurs with small shapes made directly in flexisign.

This problem also occurred when printing with the original Graphix Advantage software that we recieved with the printer.

The problem does not seem to occur in process color jobs, or jobs with large shapes.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I am starting to lose my mind! Please help!

Gareth

Shovelhead

Like this??

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 155

Bill Modzel

The Edge is a 300 dpi printer,not an 1400 dpi inkjet. You will always get stepping on diagonals. It usually insignificant on the final product.

The "dots" on process color printing essentially camouflage that effect.

pindesign

Thanks for the input guys!

Bill, check the images I attached, the 300 dpi res issue is not the problem here. If it was a res issue, i believe the printer would be printing at something like 100 dpi to show the degree of error that it is.

Moody - I agree, it should not happen with spot colors.

Fred, I already did try to increase the halftone screen - to no avail.

Ok so I have attached some pictures:

"edge_stepping.jpg" - This one shows the problem in question - vector data, spot color should show a straighter edge than this i believe.

"stepping 001.jpg" - This next one is what happens if I print the image from a bitmap, As you can see, the 'stepping' is gone, now I am left with the 'normal' fuzzy edges that come from a 300 dpi printer.

If anyone can tell me definitavely that this is 'normal' operation for the edge, than fine I will live with it, but I do believe it should be able to print diagonals without this degree of stepping. The gerber tech here in Australia also agrees with me.

I look forward to your further responses, and thanks again!!!

Gareth :thankyou:

Attachments

• edge_stepping.JPG
    edge_stepping.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 186
  • stepping 001.JPG
    stepping 001.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 192

Sign Works

Roland Colorcamm PC-600 - Output print resolution up to 1200 DPI = No stepping on vector images, No fuzzy edges on bitmap images. :rolleyes:

Oh Crap! Wait a minute, just found several posts stating that my printer is only good for boat anchor or door stop, never mind.:Big Laugh

Ken

.EPS files may contain both vector paths and bitmap images. I suspect you have a bitmap in play here.
Ken

pindesign

Just to clarify, I am not after a new hardware solution. I started this thread to solve this particular problem.

There is no bitmap in play, if you read the thread properly and looked at the attached images, you would see that your suggestion holds no weight.

Thanks for trying though.

Gareth

thesignexpert

I ran an Edge 1 for a few years and, I hate to tell you, but this happens regularly with very small prints / images. The way I understand the issue is that the Edge 1 (despite what your specs say) is NOT a true 300 dpi printer, it is only an "emulated 300 dpi". The actual "true resolution" for the Gerber Edge 1 is only 150 dpi and then the RIP software somehow smoothes the final output to appear more like 300 dpi.

So, in short, your problem is that there is only so much "emulation" a software RIP can provide for a print head that only prints at 150 dpi. The end result... small objects and text end up looking jaggy and rough.

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

pindesign

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your guidance, the print certainly looks as if it is around 150 dpi, so this makes sense.

The problem with finding solutions for the edge, of course is that it is so old and all the techies in Australia that could have given me this fact have since retired. All the new techs, bless their hearts, are just referencing the same specs and reference material that i am.

So its great to get some advice from a previous user of the acutal technology. Thank you!
:U Rock:

If there is anyone out there who HAS managed to find a solution (although this now seems unlikely) - I'd still love to hear it!

I suppose I COULD make all the seps as rasters, which gives a fairly cruddy result, but at least it does not 'step' in the same way.

Otherwise the question becomes how do I break it to the boss that he has wasted his money? :Big Laugh:Big Laugh

Gareth

Service Sign Co

Don't think you wasted any money,I thought Image rip was what you purchased for Large format printers.So that bar that runs during output to the Edge that says processing and takes a whole 2 seconds I guess technically is a RIP.

Gene@mpls

If it is possible rotate the graphic to a different angle. No always possible but
it will often help if you can.

pindesign

Don't think you wasted any money,I thought Image rip was what you purchased for Large format printers.So that bar that runs during output to the Edge that says processing and takes a whole 2 seconds I guess technically is a RIP.

I meant he wasted his money on buying the edge 1 - not the rip software...

(he is a quality freak, and i know he wont accept the output we are getting from the edge) :Big Laugh

511graphix

hey thats meeee quality freak alll the way lol. I drive some friends crazy that have helped me during jobs in the past.. but its what I want for my customers and it makes me happy :)

pindesign

hey thats meeee quality freak alll the way lol. I drive some friends crazy that have helped me during jobs in the past.. but its what I want for my customers and it makes me happy :)

Me too, quality all the way I reckon! It's funny that I'm consistently expected to wrangle modern-day quality out of old/cheap devices though!

The false economy of getting a 'bargain' printer :)