• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber Edge 2 how to take off shocks

tlgsurvey

I read the posts on here about the Gerber shocks and how easy they are to replace. But looking at mine, I was wondering how to take them off? Do you have to just pull them off? Is there a trick? I definitely don't want to break anything. I have replacement shocks from Gerber already compressed.

Thanks for any help.

Tracy

Jburns

Usually, a very small screwdriver- and there should be a clip on the outside you can pry it 50% off and it should come off.

You can post a pick so I can verify.

tlgsurvey

Usually, a very small screwdriver- and there should be a clip on the outside you can pry it 50% off and it should come off.

You can post a pick so I can verify.

Jburns thank you for helping.

I see a place that looks like a slot for screwdriver but I don't see a clip so I will post the pictures.

IMG_8341.jpg
IMG_8342.jpg
IMG_8342.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8343.jpg
    IMG_8343.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 197

ChrisN

Those are ball joints on the ends of the springs. If I remember correctly, the connectors should pop off the frame if you pull or pry the springs away from the frame.

Jburns

Get a big paint stick to hold up the lid with no shocks while changing - if shocks aren’t compressed I use an Irwin wood clamp

tlgsurvey

I finally got around to changing the shocks. Once I pried those caps up a bit I could get the strut off. I kept the lid open with an 22" survey stake. Putting the new one on was a bit of a hassle for the first one as the strut was not compressed enough to fit. Somewhere in an other thread I saw someone using a wood clamp. The only thing I had was a long bar clamp. So here is how it worked:

1) put the end of the strut ball joint closest to the front.
2) with the back end of the Edge 2 hanging over the end of a table a couple inches or so put the top of the bar clamp over the top of the front strut
3) but the adjustable end of the bar clamp over the strut at the back
4) tun handle to squeeze the strut until it is in line with the back ball joint. Press from the side and done.
5) repeat steps for other side.

Edge_Strut_1.jpg Cap after prying it up. Pulled off easy.

Edge_Strut_2.jpg Bar clamp I used

Edge_Strut_3.jpg Clamp used to compress the strut into position.

Jburns

I hand mentioned the wood clamp, but it required removing the upper cover. The bar clamp is narrow enough that you dont have to do that - very nice.