Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerber Edge 2 Print Issue - Partial Head Drop?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by MindsEyeOpen, Dec 4, 2012.

1. MindsEyeOpen

MindsEyeOpen Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Our Gerber Edge II has worked relatively fine since the days of Moses. However, today we suddenly had part of the print just stop. The majority of the print runs fine but then it just cuts out.

I checked the visible connections and everything looks good. Thinking (Hoping?) it might be a communication issue. I'm not getting any error messages though. I'm running it through a USB adapter and using MacImprint to print/cut.

I've attached a couple photos. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    IMO that basically HAS to be a throughput issue - temp disk may be full, virus scan going on, something.

3. MindsEyeOpen

MindsEyeOpen Member

Jan 17, 2011
    I've done multiple restarts of the Edge and my computer. Tried multiple files. From complex to a simple box. No change.

4. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

There is an internal test on the Edge II, I would try a number of those. Access from it's front panel, or read the manual. If no manual go to www.gspinc.com

5. MindsEyeOpen

MindsEyeOpen Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Ran several of the tests. The "Solid Block" test was the most telling. Same issue as when printing from a file. About 70% prints while the rest is lost.

Anyone know a good Gerber tech in the Memphis/Little Rock area?

6. Applied Graphics

Applied Graphics Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I had an issue with my Edge I where it would print everything but a 1.5" strip.
    I just knew it was a bad print head. I contacted Gerber Tech support and they knew immediately what it was.
    There is a data cable that runs to the print head and it had become crimped and had broken some of the wires inside the cable. Gerber sent me out a new cable and I was able to change out and was back to normal printing.

Steve

7. MindsEyeOpen

MindsEyeOpen Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Steve,

I really appreciate the response. A co-worker and I have been pretty sure it was a communication/data issue but we really couldn't see any visible issues with the cables. We'll give a new data cable a try and see if it fixes things.

Thanks!

8. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

If the internal test failed as I think you said it's NOT the communications cable but one of the internal cables most likely the "data cable" going from the PC board to the head.

9. MindsEyeOpen

MindsEyeOpen Member

Jan 17, 2011
    That was the cable I was referring to. Sorry, computer nerd here. I consider a comm cable to be a data cable. We got one ordered. Should be here tomorrow morning. I'll post an update with what we figure out.

10. Browner

Browner Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Winnipeg
    Print Head Data Cable?

Gerber part P53171C

Attached Files:

11. Browner

Browner Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Winnipeg
    I replaced one a couple of years ago on my EDGE LE.
    The "hardest" part was fishing the connector through from the back of the print head (top of the machine) into its proper position... tiny hands would have probably helped.
    I found that removing the dancer bar and foil squeegee helped make some room.

Attached Files:

12. MindsEyeOpen

MindsEyeOpen Member

Jan 17, 2011
    That's the one. Picking it up from UPS bright and early in the morning.

13. MindsEyeOpen

MindsEyeOpen Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Got the new print head data cable in this morning. Got it all routed through the Edge and plugged in. Fixed and cleaned a couple of other things and fired it up. Runs like a champ again. Really glad it was an easy and inexpensive fix.

14. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Good to hear you got it fixed, also thanks for posting what the problem was!

15. Tel

Tel Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks for the feedback

regards
    Tel