• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 2 questions.

Jim Hill

I have never used a Gerber Edge 2 printer so I have a few questions.

I have a chance to purchase this printer for under $2,000 dollars and it prints fine with no problems but it does not come with a plotter.

This printer was just serviced and appears to work fine but my question is what else should I be asking about such as software, cables and whatever else I would need to use the printer.

Does this come with all the fonts or is that something I would need to purchase?

I know that the Gerber use an envision plotter but is that the only one that will work with this printer or is that just the best one to purchase?

The person that is selling this printer is the first owner and says it only has been used for about 80 hours. Anyway to check that information out?

I do understand that this printer is a thermal printer and I would only be using it for smaller type items so it would work fine for what I need to print.

I also understand the print costs would be higher using a Gerber.

If there is something else I should be asking please let me know?

Thanks for your help. Jim Hill

Marlene

you can try going to the Gerber website www.gspinc.com and click on the support section to see if there's anything in the fast facts that might be helpful. as far as software goes, what are you using? I think there are some sign programs that will run the Edge. as far as a printer, I use my HS 15 plus and I know that others use other types of printers.

the one big question I would ask is why was it serviced if it only has 80 hours of use?????

SqueeGee

Do a search for "Edge test print" here or at 4edgetalk.com to find out how to run a test to see if the head is firing as it should.

We use Omega to drive the Edge.

You can find the hours on the machine by pushing a certain button a bunch of times - again, do a search and this will pop up.

80 hours is very low as is $2,000. Buyer beware.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have never used a Gerber Edge 2 printer so I have a few questions.

I have a chance to purchase this printer for under $2,000 dollars and it prints fine with no problems but it does not come with a plotter.

This printer was just serviced and appears to work fine but my question is what else should I be asking about such as software, cables and whatever else I would need to use the printer.

You need software that will run it and a plotter that will complete the setup. Your software choices are Gerber Omega, FlexiSign Pro, or signLab with the thermal module. I would recommend Omega. Your plotter choices are all pretty much limited to Gerber 15" sprocket fed plotters. They would range from and HS15 or GS15 to an Envision 375. The Edge is supplied with a printer cable and you should require that it be included. You will also have the easiest time hooking it up if your computer has a 25 pin parallel LPT port. In addition you will need an inventory of vinyl and foils which can be Gerber brand or after market competing brands.

If you are comfortable working with cut vinyl setups and/or screen printing, you will have a reasonably easy learning curve. The Edge is both a process color digital printer and a spot color printer which is more like cut vinyl and screen print technology.

Does this come with all the fonts or is that something I would need to purchase?

The fonts come with Omega software.

I know that the Gerber use an envision plotter but is that the only one that will work with this printer or is that just the best one to purchase?

See comments above. The Envision is the best choice but all of them work.

The person that is selling this printer is the first owner and says it only has been used for about 80 hours. Anyway to check that information out?

Repeated pressing of the setup button will eventually display a Print Minutes reading. 18 depressions on my Edge LE (59,000 minutes). print minutes is far less important than what is revealed by printing an 11.8 high block of 100% solid fill and another that is a 50% fill.

I do understand that this printer is a thermal printer and I would only be using it for smaller type items so it would work fine for what I need to print.

I also understand the print costs would be higher using a Gerber.

If there is something else I should be asking please let me know?

Thanks for your help. Jim Hill

No but understand that you are looking at a lot more investment beyond the Edge 2. You need software, a plotter and materials. Even on the used market, you should budget an extra $5K or more to get up and running. Then you will need to learn to setup your jobs so they give you the results you want.

If you do purchase the unit, make sure you understand what is needed to prepare the printer for transport. The printhead MUST be secured or it will break and you'll be looking at $4K to $5K to get it fixed.

If you don't go ahead with the deal, please PM me with the name of the seller. I might be in the market for it as a replacement for my aging Edge LE.

Jim Hill

Thanks Fred and everyone else for help.

I need more answers then I have right now from the owner about software and a few other things so I will let you know once I get to see the priner in action and talk more with the owner.

The deal sounds almost to good to be true so time will tell if it is or not.

Thanks again for all the great advice it really helps since I have never used a Gerber before.

Thanks Jim

signage

If you are looking into an Edge two you also need a computer that has an ECP parallel port! Or you will need to get a USB to parallel adapter from Gerber!

I bought my Edge2 earlier this year with 4800 minutes (80hrs) and 45 foil cartridges(mostly 100yd rolls), a new full set CMYK lt foils and new 50yd heat transfer paper.. omega 2.6 , manual everything for $2700 from a stranger... so there are deals out there.. then I picked up a GSX15 plus off Craigslist for $650...just do as mentioned above... make sure it works..and get all you can with it.. good luck!