• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge 2 - STRANGE print issue......

MarkH42

We have a Gerber Edge 2 that has developed a strange problem. The job will start fine, then a problem develops, always the same distance from the top edge (3" or so from the top). We have a had a pixel go bad in a print head before and that leaves a thin void in the print all the time, every time, every color, etc. This is far more complicated. It is intermittent and sometimes it is a 1/8" wide void in the print, but most of the time it is a partial print, where the print is only partially missing. I have attached pics showing the issue (explanation of each below). Here is the strange part. When the problem develops, it repeats identically in every remaining repeat, whether the repeats were created in GSPlot or whether they were created in Composer. I sent spool files to Diane at Metaline (who is awesome, by the way) and she confirmed the files are fine. My first thought was some sort of obstruction or something along those lines, but a thorough inspection and cleaning didn't help.

When we lost the print head, we bought a used Edge 2 and began using that one. We still have our old one and have used it as a parts machine (skew motor, ground cable, a couple of other small things). The CPU and everything else is still on the old machine, so we have a quick source for replacement parts if anyone has any suggestions.

We have tried unplugging, cleaning and reattaching all interior cables. This has been going on for two weeks, so we have been using our Edge 1 backup. We have tried rebooting, cleaning, various heat settings, speeds, etc. If we print a three color job, the problem may occur in one of the colors only, or none.....or all three. It is intermittent and unpredictable, but now happens about 75% of the time. Sometimes it occurs right away and other times it starts after a few good quality repeats. The odd thing that makes me believe this is a digital issue and not a mechanical issue is the way the problem is EXACTLY the same from one repeat to the next after it starts. See attached pics and I welcome any advice or suggestions you have. Thanks in advance for your help!

Pic 1 - how the job should look
Pic 2 - how it looks when problem starts (looks just like this on every subsequent repeat)
Pic 3 - same job, flipped 180 degrees. Blue ran fine, then line developed in black
Pic 4 - same job, different run, where problem starts. At the right is the last "good" one (although I do see some slight issues in the good ones upon closer inspection.)

All of these pics are of black foil, but the problem is just as likely to occur in another color.

Attachments

• Edge 2 Pics 1.jpg
    Edge 2 Pics 1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Edge 2 Pics 2.jpg
    Edge 2 Pics 2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Edge 2 Pics 3.jpg
    Edge 2 Pics 3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Edge Pics 4.jpg
    Edge Pics 4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 214

MarkH42

I appreciate the suggestion, but read the post again. This happens on ALL colors. There is no fold or crease in the foil and the glitch is identical from repeat to repeat.

"Or I would unwind the spent black foil....looks like it may have folded in on itself."

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm not real hopeful that the following is a solution but I've had an occasional issue over the years that was similar to yours. It is possible that you have a corrupted PRM file. this is a file that is generated from GSPPlot that captures the settings there. My problem was fixed by deleting the PRM file and outputting the job again.

MarkH42

This has happened with a dozen or more separate jobs run over a week or so, with many reboots done in-between. So, unless there is a way that all of these PRM files could be getting corrupted, I just don't see that being the issue.

I'm not real hopeful that the following is a solution but I've had an occasional issue over the years that was similar to yours. It is possible that you have a corrupted PRM file. this is a file that is generated from GSPPlot that captures the settings there. My problem was fixed by deleting the PRM file and outputting the job again.

Browner

Try some of the built in test patterns. If they come out wrong (similar drop-outs), I would suggest you need a new print head data cable.

Kathi Hauser

Sign Girl
also consider swapping the print head data cable...since you have a spare for parts.

added -
aaah, just saw Browners post!

Marlene

are you sending the job directly to the Edge from the plot page, if so, try making a spool file and then send that to the Edge to see if that helps.