• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge Foil - Reflective

SignosaurusRex

Short answer, No. Long answer, If you want reflective colors printed on the Edge, You need to use the transparent color foils over reflective white vinyl.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No, but all the transparent and process foils are designed to allow reflection when printed on 280i reflective film.

butsie

Thank you both. I need to make signs with a white background and red reflective letters. So what you are saying is that I need to use the transparent red foil over a white reflective vinyl. I have never ran reflective through the Gerber Edge. This will be a first for me!

Thanks again for the help!

Mary

butsie

Thanks Mike - It is a rather large job to say the least. I have to start with 25 16"x24" signs. Probably wind up doing about 100 of them. I do have an unique status as far as sign making goes, I do all the signage for the state agency that I work for so I don't have to worry about making a profit, just need to worry about keeping my employer happy! Thanks again for the help!!!

Mary

iSign

are they simple large letters?

you said "white background" but you didn't say reflective white... so you may not want to print red on reflective white for 2 reasons. At 16" x 24" you will, of course, have a splice AND you will be using a lot of expensive white reflective vinyl that you may not need. You mentioned Edge printing, so I'll assume there is a reason for that... but if the reason is just to save labor on weeding... how much weeding is there really? If you don't need the background to be reflective, you might save quite a bit of money on the amount of expensive vinyl required for this job, if you are willing and able to weed cut red reflective vinyl instead. You can buy pre-painted white blanks too (depending on what substrate you're using) and maybe save time on application.

butsie

you said "white background" but you didn't say reflective white... so you may not want to print red on reflective white for 2 reasons. At 16" x 24" you will, of course, have a splice AND you will be using a lot of expensive white reflective vinyl that you may not need. You mentioned Edge printing, so I'll assume there is a reason for that... but if the reason is just to save labor on weeding... how much weeding is there really? If you don't need the background to be reflective, you might save quite a bit of money on the amount of expensive vinyl required for this job, if you are willing and able to weed cut red reflective vinyl instead. You can buy pre-painted white blanks too (depending on what substrate you're using) and maybe save time on application.

Exactly, it is only a white background. Our sheet metal shop will be cutting the sign material for me that already has a white side to the sheet metal. You are right in saying that the background only needs to be white and not reflective, just the red lettering and the 1" border needs to be reflective. I was pondering printing them on the Gerber Edge but did not know if reflective properties where even available. So your right that just cutting out the letters using red reflective material would be the most cost effective method to use. But I did learn something new, that reflective properties are an option using the Edge.

Thanks for the help!!!

Mary