• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge FX capabilities...

I have been thinking about purchasing an Edge FX for making decals. The decals would be used for R/C models such as planes, helicopters, cars and trucks.

My question is does this machine make good quality vinyl decals? Is there a better machine out there more suited to decal making?

And I believe I would also need a plotter in order cut the decals out, am I right?

Please help me out, I am new to this decal stuff.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes the Edge FX is a logical choice for this application. It's not the highest resolution (300 x 600 dpi) but with its ability to also do spot colors and being thermal resin, yes it's a good choice.

You will need a matching 15" Gerber plotter and software to drive it. Software choices are Gerber Omega, SignLab with Thermal Module, or FlexiSign.

Other options include the Summa DC-x thermal line or any solvent or ecosolvent print and cut system. With inkjets, you will have a definite need for clear overlamination because of weak solvent resistance such as you'll encounter with RC fuels.

Is it true that the Edge can only print up to 4 colors in a design? I'm reading that it can only print up to 4 colors... That seems very limited to me...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Is it true that the Edge can only print up to 4 colors in a design? I'm reading that it can only print up to 4 colors... That seems very limited to me...

No, not at all. I can recall jobs I've printed that used as many as 15 spot colors. You may be confusing yourself with the fact that the Edge also will print using 4 color process foils which will produce millions of colors by blending together percentages of Process Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black.

One of the primary benefits and differences between the Edge and inkjets is the ability to assign spot colors and print them. This produces predictable results without the need for profiles and other aspects of color management. In addition, the colors when set to the default of 100%, provide the same good looking results as do cut vinyls or traditional screen printing.

Pro Image

One more thing to add about the edge............It also prints white on clear very easy............

jeph4e

Yep

The FX has great decal opportunities. A great number of folks (including those doing R/C) use the FX & Convex for decals.

How about new versus used? Would it be better to buy brand new equipment? And if I buy used, would the original Edge work just as good as the Edge FX? One thing I read is the original Edge has been
discontinued. If something breaks on it would it be hard to get it serviced?

sorry for all the questions I want to make the right decision. I need a machine by the end of April.

TresL

It works VERY well for RC use!
Just make sure you have have other uses for it as RC is not a cash cow...

Most of the guys doing RC graphics are using inkjet(Roland).
But using the Edge gives you the option to do subsurface printing as well.

jeph4e

Edge stuff

Okay, I'm obviously biased here but we do sell a great deal of sport decal material (thank you!) for both inkjets and thermal.

The FX is best at spot color decals. With quality materials you can hold detail on small decals. Cheaper materials will not hold detail and smaller sizes.

Bullets:

• The enVision plotter is the *real* reason to do thermal. Fire and forget die cutting after lamination. Sprocket fed media.

• Speed. FX/enVision combo is fast due to ease-of-use etc.

• The FX is great. I use it every day for production on our stuff. We make a lot of samples and do a lot of testing. I say this as I use it. It is running full out last week and this week on our labels, Football samples and materials testing.

• Edge 2: Also good but discontinued. We sell used Edge 2s on occassion and support a fleet of them. Have two of them here but I'd rather use the FX.

• Edge 1/SR1500: Way discontinued. Enough said.

• Printing white on clear is very nice.

• Printing colors on any color material - metallics on black etc

• Metallics on sport decals makes a big impact (= more sales) as well as reverse printing on clear.

More info on thermal printers...
graphicms.com/aboutthermal.html
graphicms.com/applications.html

Thanks for letting me rant
jeff

Last edited:

jeph4e

Factory Refurb from Gerber! It is rather nice.

Lots of folks interested but we can move it out today! First one with the check gets it :)

Very, very hard to find one as nice as this (i.e. discontinued).

But the FX is better. Our demo (the one I work on) is still on sale but I really don't want to let it go.

Last edited:

mike rau

We just got into the business we do mostly car and custom graphics stuff and all we use is the edge 2 and the gerber plotter it works awesome the detail is great.....mike

slappy

i'd like to hear more on this.... does the printed material scratch easily from the Gerber Edge FX... i just got off the phone with signwarehouse and the salesmen told me it does cause there's no laminator. And they also no longer sale Gerber products so he's trying to push me to a PrismJet ExtraC Series with a lamintor and plotter.... a package deal??? which is better??

ChiknNutz

Thermal and inkjet printers are TOTALLY different animals. Though they have overlapping capabilities, each is better and worse at certain types of projects. You need to determine what those projects are BEFORE you decide on the printer-type.

jeph4e

i'd like to hear more on this.... does the printed material scratch easily from the Gerber Edge FX... i just got off the phone with signwarehouse and the salesmen told me it does cause there's no laminator. And they also no longer sale Gerber products so he's trying to push me to a PrismJet ExtraC Series with a lamintor and plotter.... a package deal??? which is better??

Thermal Printing fuses the ink (from the ribbon) to the substrate. Thus it is pretty durable.

That said, lamination is always recommended for anything where contact is expected. For places where contact is not expected, then lamination may not be required.

For labels and decals (and not wide-format signage) please take a look at our biased viewpoints...

graphicms.com/inkjet.html
graphicms.com/aboutthermal.html
graphicms.com/topten.html

Thanks...