• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge FX - Poor Printing

stitchup

A few problems this weekend!

I've not printed with the Edge FX in over a year but as I had some labels to print this weekend, I decided to give it a though clean before printing.

The vinyl & foils I'm using are also more than a year old but have been stored in a clean, cool place.

This was my first print:

attachment.php

Quite horrible!

So what's causing this mess? Before printing I'd clean the head with an alcohol swab and all the surrounding areas.

Any ideas? Do these machines benefit from being left on a while before use?

Cheers

John

Attachments

• EdgeFX_zpsa566e616.jpg
    EdgeFX_zpsa566e616.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Looks like surface contamination on the vinyl. What do you get if you waste the first turn on the roll?

You might also want to create a block that's 11.75" tall by 3" wide with a spot color fill and save it. Then use it as a first print when you've just turned the Edge on. This helps to get everything firing and heated up before you print something larger.

stitchup

Thanks Fred, I did wonder if my vinyl might be the culprit. I've placed an order for some new vinyl and foils.

I'll also try what you suggest with a solid block.

Cheers

john

stitchup

Interestingly, the print is a lot better (not perfect) if I print 600 x 300. I'm guessing there's a reason for this :/

stitchup

Resolved by printing 600 x 300 :)

I love this machine when it's working properly and I'm sure it can do far more than I ask of it.

John

Billct2

Just be sure to only use the correct type of alcohol wipes. I forget what the exact product is, I just looked at the wipes I have and it doesn't spell it out. I buy wipes made specifically for thermal head cleaning. I can usually use one multiple times by putting it back in the foil pouch and clamping it shut.

MaxiKyle

Pro-Tip

When printing on Lexedge or materials like it(I realize that is just white vinyl), don't soak your cloth in alcohol and wipe the print side with it......

It makes the print coating super sticky and unprintable.

Don't ask me how I know this....

J Hill Designs

Just be sure to only use the correct type of alcohol wipes. I forget what the exact product is, I just looked at the wipes I have and it doesn't spell it out. I buy wipes made specifically for thermal head cleaning. I can usually use one multiple times by putting it back in the foil pouch and clamping it shut.

just make sure you use 99% Isopropyl