• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Gerber Edge FX Value?

mndlt

Hi All, Long time creeper - thanks for all your suggestions and posts. Finally decided to join...Recently acquired a Gerber Edge FX, Omega 5.0, 30 foils, and a GSX plus. It was in a lot that I purchased and wasn't my goal. I'm seeing a lot of you really like the Edges. I have thought of keeping it but I have no clue about Omega or the Edge in general. Was told it may have a dead pixel but not confirmed. Anyhow the question is what is it worth? It was basically an inclusion with the rest of the items - do I begin to troubleshoot (is there an easy way?) or should I move on. If that is the case what should I reasonably ask? Don't want top dollar but also shouldn't give the competition an edge lol! Thank you.

Jburns

Depends possible where the pixel is out - try running a head test printing full block on some white vinyl.
Head replacement I think is 3500-ish,
Good condition no dead pixels - 3500 low end - 5,000 higher end

Billct2

Yep, run a print test with a solid block of color. Clean head first with only "pure" alcohol. I use wipes made for thermal printers. The edge is a great machine for certain jobs, and it doesn't require any maintenance in between uses, and the foils never go bad.

mndlt

Thanks Billct2. I have followed your suggestion as well. After cleaning the head I ran both a test print and a full block. I'm guessing this is what a dead pixel looks like?:(. This being the case I think I will offload it - unless you guys have another suggestion? And now what should I ask - is this a parts machine?

Attachments

• EDGE_Test.jpg
    EDGE_Test.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 459

Billct2

Yep, that's what a dead pixel looks like. That sucks. If you're really not into having a working edge then yes, its a parts machine.

mndlt

Ok Thanks again Billct2. That's unfortunate. I wouldn't say I'm not into it, heard lots of good stuff - bought the business from my dad who been at it for 20+ years and the Edge has always been his holy grail. Maybe I don't see the potential in a sprocket fed, 15" material printer! But maybe I just don't know it enough. Our Canadian supplier ND Graphics has quoted 4500$+Install for a head - that was tough to hear.

Billct2

Try the Plotter Doctor. I use my edge every week, outlines on cut vinyl, spot color graphics, decals etc....amazing how much you can do within it's parameters.
Right now I'm printing some reflective truck lettering with a black outline and 50 fire dept decals on reflective with transparent foils.