• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge II Extension Cord?

paul luszcz

Can the Gerber parallel port to USB adapter be used with an extension cord, either on the USB side (easy to find) or the parallel port side (hard to find)?

We just updated Omega from 2.6 to 6.0 after many years. Not so much because we wanted new Omega software but wanted to replace our 1990's era PC.

The new PC (an iMac running Windows actually) doesn't have serial and parallel ports so we bought the adapters to attach our Envision 375 and our Edge II.

The serial adapter for the plotter was just that. About 2" long with a female serial connector and a male USB connector.

The parallel adapter, however, was a USB cord about a meter long with a parallel connector to plug directly into the Edge. This means that the computer has to be within a few feet of the Edge.

I can't imagine most shops wanting the Edge to be that close to the computer but I've heard horror stories about using "non-Gerber" cables for the Edge.

Anyone using this with an extension?