• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge Newbie

I recently acquired a Gerber Edge thermal printer . This will be my first printer. I have been using Flexi 8 with my Roland Cutter. I am looking for any help I can find setting up or installing the printer. From what I can tell I am going to have to get a usb cable for this to function with my xp design notebook computer. If I use flexi will I need anyother software? I also have a sentinel dongle for graphix advantage 6.0 premier. Will I still need this and the software? I also could use help or pointers setting it up for the first time to test print and any info on its capabilities, and supplies for this machine. Any help Would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached @ 843-496-7227. thanks Joseph.

Dennis Schaub

what kind of edge? It may not be worth your time and money if you have to buy the gerber software. Not to mention the learning curve. :/

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can drive the Edge from your Flexisign, providing it is the Pro version. What you will find, however, is that 99 out of 100 users are driving their Edges from Gerber software. The Gerber software you have is about 15 years out of date ... Omega is the replacement for Graphix Advantage and it is up to version 5. So what you are faced with is that hardly anyone is going to be able to offer advice or support ... either way you go.

My first advice to you is simply to run the built in test prints in the Edge before you try to get it running with a PC. You may find that it needs repairs that will exceed the value of the Edge. Secondly, please either post a picture of your Edge or describe it. Does it open from the side or from the front? Is it beige in color, or gray or blue?

I have graphix advantage, but no gerber software, but may be able to get it. I have no clue what all I need, that's why I said any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have flexi 8.1 but I am not sure if that's all I need, I know flexi will let you print out of production manager, but not sure if that will work with this machine.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have graphix advantage, but no gerber software, but may be able to get it. I have no clue what all I need, that's why I said any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have flexi 8.1 but I am not sure if that's all I need, I know flexi will let you print out of production manager, but not sure if that will work with this machine.

Graphix Advantage is Gerber software. It is 16 bit software and severely outdated. If your Edge is running OK, you might want to get a quote on using the GA dongle to get a price break on upgrading to Omega. Contact your preferred Gerber distributor to get a quote.