• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge Price

HulkSmash

Fred, i had a gerber guy stop by and try to sell me the new edge.

18,000 is that how high they've always been. How does one justify that over a 16k 60" digital printer?

HulkSmash

That's nuts....I know it has the best color matching, and can do metallic and all that jazz... but man...

briankb

Premium Subscriber
How does a ribbon based system have the best color matching? Do they just have that many colors available or is there some kind of additive layering going on?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Gerber has a long history of pricing using the value approach rather than the commodity approach. To evaluate the $18K price one needs to not only know what's included ... such as software, plotter, supplies, etc. Further, and speaking for myself as a Gerber customer since 1983, I can tell you that I have always paid a much higher price for everything I have ever bought from Gerber than I could have spent for other technology. I can also tell you that I have not only always made a good profit with Gerber equipment, but have been continuously profitable since 1983.

A Gerber Edge FX along with a Gerber Envision 375 plotter and Omega software run by a capable operator is more than capable of justifying the cost of admission and can easily recoup its total cost every month. That is how I justify it.

royster13

With any piece of specialized equipment, if you get out and sell, it will earn it's keep....But so many shops have so much equipment that is just sitting there waiting to be needed.....The best plan is to create the need by your own sales effort.....

HulkSmash

I get it, but do you find people asking for like 20 stickers? That just seems like the easiest way to lose money. Right now we don't do anything under 250 when it comes to decals a certain size, and i don't feel like lowering it.

natedawg9640

At work we have 2 mimaki jv3s. a 60" and a 30". We also have 2 gerber edge printers. the mimakis run on average about a half hour per day. the gerbers run about 6-7 hours per day. if you dont have a market that will support it, dont buy it, simple as that. if you DO... they may as well print money.

CanuckSigns

I get it, but do you find people asking for like 20 stickers? That just seems like the easiest way to lose money. Right now we don't do anything under 250 when it comes to decals a certain size, and i don't feel like lowering it.

Our edge has allowed us to take these types of jobs and still be profitable, quite often we have existing customers who only need a small run of decals, I would hate to turn them away to find someone else, who in turn can do all the other large jobs we do for them as well!

Creating a small order of decals on the Edge is usually a 15 - 20 minute process that I can have one of our employees do while the roland is printing larger jobs. The Edge is also maintenance free, it can sit in a corner for a year without use, but when you need it, it fires right up and prints perfectly.

Having said all that, if you are actually considering one, I would look for a used machine, they are build like tanks.

tagsigns

I had an edge 1 back when they almost first came out and then was forced into an edge2 due to a small plastic gear that gerber refused to stock the part for. That said, if they are running on a regular basis they can be well worth the slightly over priced item that they are. I've found that "most" of the older equiptment gerber made to be substantially built and free from hassles. I have used our edge(s) from small 5-10 decals runs to entire rolls of material all at once. The smartest thing to do when pricing the short runs is to make sure you set a minimum charge and include all the time spent on the job. You will find it easy to upsell clients on larger runs once they see that they are spending the bulk of their money on set up and design.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

This morning I ran off three runs of 100 labels each. Spot black on 3M Imagecast clear for a wholesale customer. From the time I started printing, cut them, weeded them, trimmed then down to finished pages, packaged them and set them out for customer pickup, a total of two hours passed. The job sold for $400 with a material cost of about $80 giving me a gross profit on my time of about $160 an hour on my time.

There were no fumes, no drying time, no need to laminate, just a straight through workflow. Our customer's customer has tried other vendors and found their labels don't hold up to their needs while ours do.

From your perspective as I imagine it, you are geared for larger jobs. 20 banners here, 12 wraps there, 15 site signs somewhere else. And all well and good because you have a ton of overhead to meet. By comparison, a Gerber Edge is small ball. But for my business my Edge is the center of my enterprise and has always covered my overhead and provided an excellent living.

I love my Edge.

HulkSmash

This morning I ran off three runs of 100 labels each. Spot black on 3M Imagecast clear for a wholesale customer. From the time I started printing, cut them, weeded them, trimmed then down to finished pages, packaged them and set them out for customer pickup, a total of two hours passed. The job sold for $400 with a material cost of about $80 giving me a gross profit on my time of about $160 an hour on my time.

There were no fumes, no drying time, no need to laminate, just a straight through workflow. Our customer's customer has tried other vendors and found their labels don't hold up to their needs while ours do.

From your perspective as I imagine it, you are geared for larger jobs. 20 banners here, 12 wraps there, 15 site signs somewhere else. And all well and good because you have a ton of overhead to meet. By comparison, a Gerber Edge is small ball. But for my business my Edge is the center of my enterprise and has always covered my overhead and provided an excellent living.

I love my Edge.

understood.