• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gerber edge prints horribly when the cold weather comes

gabagoo

I have always noticed that as soon as the heat is turned on here that from that point on just about everything we print on the Edge, has dropouts. I feel it could be a combination of the dry air but more that the machine does not heat up enought to print properly. If I push the heat settings higher do you suppose it would help? Saphire blue and cobalt blue are the worst culprits it seems.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What's the temperature in the room you do your printing in and do you store your vinyl in the same room or someplace colder? I'm sure temperature has a dramatic effect but the solution seems better to keep your print room and your materials in a room that is heated to above 60 degrees than to crank up the printhead setting.

gabagoo

I knew you would be there for me Fred. You are correct and unfortunately our rooftop heater is not working so I am trying to heat the unit from the rear roof heater and a small space heater. Pretty well have to run everything twice to get the quantity I need.

Marlene

how cold is it where you have your Edge? if you keep the room at least 60 degrees, you should be OK. the biggest problem is the dry as the static causes issues.

Billct2

I haven't seen that issue either, but the room with the edge is usually warm, and I if the roll of vinyl is cold after being delivered or sitting in a cold spot I let it warm up before printing.

gabagoo

when the heat comes on the air can get very dry and then dropouts from static can occur, but I find it is mostly from the head not being up to proper temperature. My Edge le is 13 years old and still on its original head so that my be a reason too although I remember always having issues in the winter with vinyl in general. Lets face it, who here has not tried re rolling up 48" vinyl off of your plotter and basically become a weather vane for static. Where do you suppose that static charge gets released? Well if your wearing pants with a zipper just watchout because I have had that horrible experience a few times. I am so terrified of rolling up cut vinyl in the winter that I sometimes even spray a light mist of water in the air before handling it. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.D. Iles

This is a very common issue.

If you notice that these "dropouts" are in the first few inches of a print do the following.

Print a 3" x 11.8" box before you do a big print. That forces the print head to come up to temperature. You will notice dropout all over the box, but your print will be fine.

If you are doing small decals, just plan on throwing away the first set of decals.

J.D.
www.signsneversleep.com