• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge Thermal Transfer Printer

supaegnt

happy belated labor day to you,
i have combed google for details but i was'nt satisfied with what i found.
more details like if parts are still available,limitations,supplies,etc,.

:thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That's a pretty broad request.

Vinyl - Pretty much any 15" vinyl which is edge punched will work. Some better than others. Metalized polyesters like chrome and mirror gold are the main ones that won't work unless they are advertised as such. Gerber 220/3M, Oracal 651, 751, 851, Avery (ughh), Arlon, take your pick.

Foils - Gerber, Duracoat and ZeroNine are the big three. Some private labels also available like Apex from Advantage Sign Supply which is actually Duracoat. All the third party foils will save you money as opposed to Gerber's but results are mixed.

Main limitations are available print height before paneling, speed and cost per foot. Neither has been a problem for me and I've used mine since 1998. Look up my photo gallery for a number of vehicles we've done with Edge prints. Advantage is no need for lamination although clear UV/Abrasion Guard foil overprint is recommended for vehicles and long term jobs. There's no fumes and the improved work flow offsets the slightly higher cost vs. inkjets. Then, of course, there's all the spot colors and the ability to print on clear vinyl.

Service and parts on older units is going to be chancy but, for now, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Gerber is, in fact, refurbishing a lot of older units and reselling them into the market.