• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Edge vs Versastudio BN-20

andreasdesmedt

Hi,

For the moment I'm outsourcing my decals, and I'm happy to do that because I have very good prices. But I get more and more orders and I'm looking to go for in house production. Not for very soon, but I'm doing some research already to know what is possible with what materials and what costs to expect etc.

I've read and looked around allot already. I came to 2 machines that are both O.K. priced second hand wich I could afford. But they are two completely different machines. My company is making decals for R/C Cars. Most of them are name tags/ sponsor decals with custom coloring, to match the paint schemes. Next to this I also make skins for certain products, like transmitters and such. The width of both printers is good, I really don't need larger. Now I'm a bit in a dilemma. R/C Companys these days offer metallics and fluos, something I can surely do with a gerber edge I guess. The BN-20 also offers white inks, so maybe I can print white and black on fluorescent vinyl, to also get the fluorescent outline, but I'm not really sure if the white will be fully opaque and not letting through any of the white? For the skins, I will have to be able to print fades between colors, shadows etc. That's something I guess the BN-20 is really good at, but can a gerber edge do that too? Also the fact there is no outgas time for the gerber is a big plus. Laminating is easier to by just using a foil, and not having to do it manual. But Isn't changing the ribbons a timetaking job? With a BN-20 you can just let it run, with the gerber you always have to change the ribbons in order to continue?

I've added a preview of how decals will most of the time look, and how skins look. You can see the decals are mostly white, black and then a certain outline color, wich I would like to be fluo or metallic too, but standard have to stay a possibility. The skins are mostly fades without to much special colors.

Any things I haven't said here that could be a plus for my task for one of the machines? Or just opinions?

Thanks

Attachments

• Polybutler-template.jpg
    Polybutler-template.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Dafke.jpg
    Dafke.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 128

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I've been running an Edge for 10 years myself and I love the machine. It's a workhorse. Changing out foils only takes a few moments and the range of colors is awesome. Plus you can Spectratone (print colors on top of each other or on top of colored vinyls) to do color matches. Gerber Tone Fine for fades and using the overprint feature if using multi colors for the fades. I've made some pretty awesome prints with the Edge. AND, you don't have to laminate anything on the Edge. If you have a project that calls for super long term prints, you can get a UV Abrasion Guard. I have full color prints that look brand new that have been out there for 8+ years.

Where the Edge falls short is in it's full color printing. It's got a max DPI of 300, so it's not as crisp as other machines. As long as the size limitation isn't a problem for you, then yea, the full color printing would be the only downfall.

You'll also need a Gerber Plotter to cut the prints. But you could probably get a GS15 pretty cheap nowadays.

I'm not familiar with the Versastudio to be able to give you an equal comparison. We only run Gerber machines here, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the machine.

andreasdesmedt

I've been running an Edge for 10 years myself and I love the machine. It's a workhorse. Changing out foils only takes a few moments and the range of colors is awesome. Plus you can Spectratone (print colors on top of each other or on top of colored vinyls) to do color matches. Gerber Tone Fine for fades and using the overprint feature if using multi colors for the fades. I've made some pretty awesome prints with the Edge. AND, you don't have to laminate anything on the Edge. If you have a project that calls for super long term prints, you can get a UV Abrasion Guard. I have full color prints that look brand new that have been out there for 8+ years.

Where the Edge falls short is in it's full color printing. It's got a max DPI of 300, so it's not as crisp as other machines. As long as the size limitation isn't a problem for you, then yea, the full color printing would be the only downfall.

You'll also need a Gerber Plotter to cut the prints. But you could probably get a GS15 pretty cheap nowadays.

I'm not familiar with the Versastudio to be able to give you an equal comparison. We only run Gerber machines here, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the machine.
Would it still be able to do the skin that I added in the attachments? What do you exactly mean with full colour is the only downfall?

Thanks allot

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Would it still be able to do the skin that I added in the attachments? What do you exactly mean with full colour is the only downfall?

Thanks allot

I would set the files you have in the attachments to print on either colored vinyl, or to include overprints in order to ensure a nice print with no white edges.

Full Color = Process Printing.

The Edge allows you to print in both full color and spot colors. Personally I prefer to use spot colors because they're not comprised of dots. They're a solid print.

andreasdesmedt

I would set the files you have in the attachments to print on either colored vinyl, or to include overprints in order to ensure a nice print with no white edges.

Full Color = Process Printing.

The Edge allows you to print in both full color and spot colors. Personally I prefer to use spot colors because they're not comprised of dots. They're a solid print.
Yes I understand, but I mostly mean the first pic. The on with the green orange and grey, it has shadows and fades, is that possible to print?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Thanks allot

He's talking about process colors. Because they are printed using percentage mixing and halftones, the results become less appealing in smaller sizes due to graininess at lower resolutions such as 300 DPI. The same is true with spot colors if not printed at 100% fill. Since you are looking at a used machine, it is important that you understand that later models of the Edge feature higher resolution capabilities than older models. Gerber Omega software also addresses this in later releases.

Gerber Edge Classic and Edge LE = 300 DPI only

Gerber Edge 2 = 300 x 600 DPI

Gerber Edge FX with Omega 5 software = 300 x 600 DPI with higher resolution emulation up to 1400 DPI

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes I understand, but I mostly mean the first pic. The on with the green orange and grey, it has shadows and fades, is that possible to print?

It will print using process colors and you will need to work with the halftone and LPI settings to get the best results. It would be very hard to do with spot colors. You will see a very noticeable difference between 300 DPi and 600 DPI depending on print size and viewing distance with process colors.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks, I indeed found an LE. An FX would produce it with better quality then? It's hard to find them used here in Europe...

They're also hard to find here. Probably because owners are making money with them. You should also be aware that due to age, support and repairs are not available any longer for Edge LE or Edge 2 models.

andreasdesmedt

They're also hard to find here. Probably because owners are making money with them. You should also be aware that due to age, support and repairs are not available any longer for Edge LE or Edge 2 models.
That's good to know, thanks allot!

Would you choose the BN-20 or the edge for my needs?

Thanks guys!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja

I was looking at it and again, I'm a spot color person, so I'd probably end up layering this to create the best possible look for the customer. But if that's not an option, yes, it can be done. The orange fill would need to be a B/W jpg (at least with composer because it can't do fills like that) set to print Orange Spot and with an overprint turned on. The rest would be spot colors. That's how I'd run it.

What software are you going to be running with it?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
It will print using process colors and you will need to work with the halftone and LPI settings to get the best results. It would be very hard to do with spot colors. You will see a very noticeable difference between 300 DPi and 600 DPI depending on print size and viewing distance with process colors.

I run an original Edge and I'd be able to do the first print. It would just take a little bit of set up time and creating the file the right way. And having the experience with Composer to do so.

andreasdesmedt

I'm in quite a ****ty position at the moment. My company is running ok, in my terms. Allot of people are asking more possibilities wich my printer I outsource to can't deliver, he prints with a BN-20. I would love to take this jobs and also make some more profit by buying myself a Edge. The only drawback atm is that they are so exspensive. Like 14000$, I think I can barely pay that with all the profits I make for 4 years of printing. I really don't understand how printing company's can get so much work to pay them back so fast. I would really like a 2ndhand but I'm located in Belgium, and you barely find these for sale here. I found a Edge Classic with GS15 and 40 ribbons, for 3000€, but it's an old machine.

So, I'm asking advice for finding a 2nd hand edge, or advice to find more jobs :Big Laugh

I'm blown away by how much these machines cost.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you considered financing a new one or a lease-purchase of one? You should be able to get a setup with plotter and supplies for under 500€ per month. If you can't make 500€ a month and lots more, then you shouldn't be trying to buy one. My Edge has grossed an average of over $5000 a month for the last 17 years.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We don't print using an Edge or a BN20, but if you can't afford any, then it's a moot point trying to find one you can afford, cause basically, it ain't gonna happen. At some point, you hafta bite the bullet and either take a chance on you and your business and take the plunge..... or just keep sitting on the sidelines..... drooling. You'll never make it, if you don't figure out a business plan to get it. Once in a great while a great deal comes along, but like mentioned, these machines are money makers and not usually given away.

Remember, there are always reasons to put something off, but you have some really good reasons to get one..... and the first one being, your source is quickly becoming no good. The second, bring it in house and control your own future. Just don't skimp. Do it right or don't do it at all.

andreasdesmedt

We don't print using an Edge or a BN20, but if you can't afford any, then it's a moot point trying to find one you can afford, cause basically, it ain't gonna happen. At some point, you hafta bite the bullet and either take a chance on you and your business and take the plunge..... or just keep sitting on the sidelines..... drooling. You'll never make it, if you don't figure out a business plan to get it. Once in a great while a great deal comes along, but like mentioned, these machines are money makers and not usually given away.

Remember, there are always reasons to put something off, but you have some really good reasons to get one..... and the first one being, your source is quickly becoming no good. The second, bring it in house and control your own future. Just don't skimp. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Well, this was the kinda talk I needed. I saw there past an edge on a 2ndhand site in Belgium here for 2500€ with plotter, and it was the FX version. Dammit, will check this site every day by now :D

Hielorojo

Hello, you can check Ebay.uk, normally there is Gerber listing.... Bear in mind,the "learning curve", you spend money in foils and vinyls until you can get a "good quality decals".... I am a rockie, only use this machine for "hobby and support my motorbikes",I bought this machine for 400$/350€(I change it for a old motorbike) but you can get profit if you invest some money in it.
Regards.

andreasdesmedt

Hi,

Thanks, I'm really looking into a Gerber Edge now. How is the maintenance on both machines and how do the prices compare?

I found an FX + gsx + Omega 5 for 6000€ (6600$) locally, is that a deal?

Thanks,
Andreas