• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber FX -vs- Summa DC5sx

Tom Dalton

Gerber FX -vs- Summa DC5sx

There are some jobs that just require a thermal printer. For example, we use transparent foil prints on clear vinyl as an overlay on reflective signs. It reflects much brighter than any kind of inkjet overlay.

Anyhow, I can get either of these two printers for the same price (new). I'm familiar with the Gerber FX, but not the Summa DC5sx.

Any input would be appreciated.

-Tom

artofacks1

I was on this path a while a go.

I went with the Edge FX because of customer service. Doug and Calvin at GMS hands down are very helpful. With out them I would have never got off the ground.

Summa left me extremely disappointed when they flaked on sending me the sample I asked for. They sent me samples they usually send and offered to print something special. (I needed to see how DC prints on convex vinyl.) Never got it and I tried 2 last calls and I just moved on.

I would have liked the larger printer but I am very happy with the EDGE FX so far.

Jase

Isn't there issues with the Summa after 6 inches of print? Doesn't it leave a 'join' line in the print? We looked at this some time ago and were put off by this issue. The larger print size sounds fantastic but overall quality is supposed to be an issue.

Good luck

Designer Wraps

We could not sell our Summa DC4 fast enough a few years ago. All is wonderful in their sales materials and it does indeed print beautifully on anything smaller than 4" wide. Try to print anything larger than that and you'll be hating life. Support - they can only do so much via the telephone and they won't be flying to you're location ... because they can't fix the overlap, line, whatever you want to call it problem. I don't know, maybe they've fixed it on the newer versions, I'd go with an Edge if you really want thermal. But we outsource specialty prints like that now, when or if we get them. Let someone else deal with those headaches.

artofacks1

We could not sell our Summa DC4 fast enough a few years ago. All is wonderful in their sales materials and it does indeed print beautifully on anything smaller than 4" wide. Try to print anything larger than that and you'll be hating life. Support - they can only do so much via the telephone and they won't be flying to you're location ... because they can't fix the overlap, line, whatever you want to call it problem. I don't know, maybe they've fixed it on the newer versions, I'd go with an Edge if you really want thermal. But we outsource specialty prints like that now, when or if we get them. Let someone else deal with those headaches.

Put me on your list of resources. I'll deal with them head aches. :)