Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerber fx

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Welder.man, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Welder.man

Welder.man Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Australia
    Today I found a complete Gerber fx set up I offered the owner the my maximum budget of $12k and he seems interested he had $16k on it. He told me it is three years old and it has not been used for 12 months.

Any comments on this set up. Please any advice

Thanks

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Browner

Browner Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Winnipeg
    Tooooo much. Check out these deals on NEW systems from Gerber themselves:

http://www.gspinc.com/default.asp?contentID=197

Not sure if you could buy an EDGE off eBay (there's one up there for $1500 now), and apply it towards the $6,000 off "Customer Loyalty Program"

I also think Advantage Sign Supply has some used LEs for under $5000.

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I took his post to be in Oz dollars so some translation is needed. In U.S dollars, I have seen recent offers similar to that but with an FX much newer for around $8K to 9K USD for a used FX.

4. The Equipment Guy

The Equipment Guy Member

Dec 16, 2009
    When buying a used edge of any model, ask them to print you 2 11.75 inch high squares, use cobalt blue, print the first one with a 50% half tone and the second a linear fade from 90% to 0%. Tell them to clean the printhead first and use good quality clean 2 mil vinyl.

What you are looking for is a burnt pixel (quite obvious, its a thin white line that does not print) or in the fade a dark section that interrupts a smooth fade, this indicates a bad clutch.

I don't know about your country, but it looks a touch expensive. I do like the FX, but it would be cool if you found one bundled with an enVision plotter, they are a bit faster and make some really cool musical sounds for you, lol!

I always have used Edges on my website, no FX's currently though.

Craig

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  5. Welder.man

Welder.man Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks for the feedback. I went and bought the set up for $12k Australian.

it should be here in a week or so.

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it all.

6. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

Make sure you register the software. If your buying it from a per registered user I believe there is a "transfer registeration" form on our WEB site.

7. Welder.man

Welder.man Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks tony I will be sure to do that.

I have been looking to buy a new computer as well and was wondering if the Gerber edge fx will run on windows 7, the computer sales man suggested getting windows 7 professional as he said it has 7 and a version of xp that is handy to run older software.

Can anyone tell me just what i should be looking for in a computer system, I will be running the edge fx,a Roland GX24, a epson R2880 and the software I use is corel X4, Vinyl master pro V2.95 vista edition,

8. The Equipment Guy

The Equipment Guy Member

Dec 16, 2009
    The Edge is a no brainer, the issue you might have is that some computers do not have the serial port for the EnVision plotter.

To transfer registration...

http://www.gspinc.com/downloads/PDF/fastfacts/1006.pdf

Windows compatibility (does not include Win 7 as of yet)

http://www.gspinc.com/downloads/PDF/fastfacts/1142.pdf

Lots of other good stuff in GSP's fastfacts site...

http://www.gspinc.com/default.asp?contentID=203#EDGE

I highly recommend spending the time in the tutorial manual, its well written. then look up the fast fact on 5 easy steps to Edge printing.

Lastly for beginners once you know the things that usually stump you, you can use the "Select" drop down menu in Omega to troubleshoot. For example, you know that you are printing on only white vinyl, so when you cant figure out why it looks wrong, you go through the various selection menus and you see you can select more than one colour of vinyl, then you know your issue is that you have multiple vinyls assigned in a print job. This works for open shapes, unwanted strokes, having unwanted process work in a spot job, having cuts on or off on the wrong shapes and many other common errors.

Good luck and enjoy! They are a really fun machine to operate.

Craig

9. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

Windows 7 is fine for Omega 2.51 and above.

10. Welder.man

Welder.man Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Australia
    Thankyou all so much for all your advice.

11. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Our older Edge has this issue. Is this usually an expensive fix? We don't print as much with it as we used to because of the new solvent machine, but I would like to fix this someday.

Thanks

12. The Equipment Guy

The Equipment Guy Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Its not as bad as a print head, under $1000. Usually only affects process and halftone work.

Craig

13. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Alright, thanks!