• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Graphix Advantage 6.0 blues

Bobas Kalobas

I have the old 6.0 and tried to put it in my new computer as the old one is dying. It is asking for a password & I have no password. When I bought this from my brother in 2001 he didnt give me the original CD cases as he just had them thrown around his shop.
Anyway, I understand that I may never get this to load, but the weird thing is I have never needed to use the P/W before, Why is it asking for it now?
...Also, to make it worse!
Now that I have tried this I decided to go back to my old computer because the new one needs a P/W. Well... guess what! then old computer that I have been using for 10 years now wont work either because it says there is a "VIOLATION CODE 99" what ever that means.

Does anybody know why this would happen? and Is there any solutions besides buying all new software? $$$$ WAAAA!!!! I already paid the $3,000.00 for the software & hate to have to go to Omega. THANKS FOR ANY HELP ;-)
Bob

Jillbeans

I don't think GA 6.0 (I have 6.2) will work with anything higher than Win98SE.
Try going to garage sales/Goodwill and picking up a decent ancient computer, you can probably get one for a song.
My password wasn't in the CD case or anything, it was on a separate little card.
Love....Jill

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I have GA 6.0 and it won't work on anything newer than Win98. The password that you need may be written on the dongle.

The Equipment Guy

Also, you should probably run the sentinel driver program (On your CD...sorry) and "tell" the program which port you are hooking the security dongle up to.

The folks who mentioned windows compatibility are correct, although I have seen quite a few instances where there is some overlap and a version can run on a slightly newer version of windows where it is not supposed to, but this is a crapshoot.

I will think about it and ask some people I know for suggestions...maybe Tony will jump in too at some point. I will post as I think of things.

Craig

<Edit> I found out that sentinel driver would be available in the gsp directory on your old computer if it is still working.

Last edited:

The Equipment Guy

I found that I have the following CD's 6.0 Rev D and Rev E

I will send you an email and we can arrange to get them to you, but lets see if I can find out which would work for you first...what Windows version are you using?

(I know you emailed me, but I am posting here so that we can create history for others in case we come up with good info for the future...)

Craig

Bobas Kalobas

thanks all! When I said"NEW COMPUTER" I meant another WIN98. New in my shop. as my old one has boot-up problems. Im not trying to put it in a newer xp or anything like that. Im putting it in the same Windows, but a "good computer". Sorry I didnt make that clear.
it is acting like I am trying to "upgrade " it or something and i am not. What freaks me out is ... I put it all back in the orig. computer and the original one wont let me in without a P/W now!!! ???? Did it brainwash the dongle??! You guys are great! I am excited that you are all trying to help me. Thanks so much.
Bob

Bobas Kalobas

Thank you so much! But, I tried the dongle number & its not the one it wants. It says on the screen that the number is on the original CD case. My brother lost those 1o years ago.
I have the REVD & REVE CD, But the Dongle seems to remember that I made a mistake loading to the new computer & I put the Rev. E in first.Then later put the REV D in trying to get my "shadow files". That made the changes that created this mess. So I put everything back into a 3rd. COmp. & it still wont work..."IT WANTS A PASSWORD" :( Your all so great!

Marlene

THanks, But Omega 3 is not an option for me right now. Its not a money thing, Its a lernin curve

3.0 is pretty user friendly and if you have been running any Gerber software, you most likely won't have a whole lot of trouble learning the new software. 3.0 does a lot of cool stuff, but if all you want is to do what you did in the old program, it's pretty much all there

Tony Teveris

On the Omega CD there should be a DOS application called RBLOCK.EXE.

This application will read the dongle and give you a report of what it thinks is on the it.

tracey.peterson

I was able to get 6.0 and 6.2 to run on XP, but the biggest issues were dongle related.

Also had to make sure to run as admin - couldn't be run as a local non-admin user. As for asking for a password - it sounds like dongle issues to me too. I think Tony's got the right idea troubleshooting from there.

As for the old PC, well, it sounds like a different issue - I'd suggest troubleshooting one at a time ;)

Bobas Kalobas

Thank you all. Cool! You got it to run on XP? thats good. I didnt know it was possible.
I am going to run the Rblock and see whats up. Havent had a chance to today. I am trying to see demos of Omega on the net but every place I go its DL's of stuff that Im not familiar with. I hooked up my Signlab fastcard today so I can at least cut stuff for a while on the 4B. Its a 10 year old fast card also, but works ok. Have a good day.
Bob

The Equipment Guy

If you contact your local Gerber distributor they can get you a copy of the latest Gerber software disk without the dongle, should be for free, and it will load as a demo copy...no saves no output, but fine for checking it out.

Craig

The Equipment Guy

I think 4.1 is the wrong number...unless it is really old, the 4 series was a free upgrade back in the days of diskettes. There is probably another number on there somewhere.

Craig