• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber GS15 Alignment Problems

obxgrfx

Here's a problem and solution all in one entry.

I've had my GS15 since 1992 and with the exception of having to replace the muffin fan back about 1995 there have been no real problems until last summer.

The machine had been idle for several months. When I went to use it the platen rubber had about disintegrated. Called the Plotter Doctor had the new platen shipped and I installed it. Everything worked perfectly until this past Monday. I cut the vinyl, and when I started to weed it things were way off.

Thinking it may just be dirt in the sensors I pulled the left cover, blew off the sensors and emitter wheels and made sure the cutting head shafts were clean and oiled. Re-cut the vinyl and the same thng happened.
After checking the Theta belt I re-adjusted the Y axis and tried again. Same problem. I then said the heck with it and closed up.

Tuesday I spent some time on the web reading anything I could find on Gerber plotters including the threads on this forum. Today, I checked the belt and gears under the right side cover. gears looked okay and I had my hand on the platen as I started to turn the gear so I could check the teeth on the belt. Surprise, surprise, the platen didn't move initially.
The setscrew had backed itself off just enough to allow slippage.
So the problem wasn't in the blade/theta belt at all.

If you have a problem on the X axis with registration/algnment and you've replaced the platen (drum) double check the set screw. I'm pretty sure I had that thing tight and the plotter worked flawlessly for almost a year.

It's now fixed and probably cleaner than it's been in years.

By the way, you can use blue Loctite on that setscrew. The blue version will allow you to get the screw out if you have to at a later date.

obxgrfx

Sorry about not answering sooner. It's the whole drum. Two places to get one. Gerber or The Plotter Doctor.