• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber GS15-plus Not working

dfly0

We just upgraded our computer and can still communicate with the Edge and our Roland PC1100, but not the GS15-plus (nor the old GS15).

Have tried everything we can think of including: changing comm ports making a new cable to the spec in Gerber manual, talking to Gerber engineer who was helpful but hasn't found the answer.

Anyone out there had this problem? Could it be a software problem to do with newer faster machine, mismatch of voltage? Any ideas please as we can't get our urgent jobs out!

Thank you.

Tony Teveris

Are you using the "Gerber" cable?

One thing we found awhile back was that the 5 volts signal was not up to par on some new computers causing signals to be totally incorrect. But that was a long time ago.

I think we are only using pins 2, 3 and 7(ground), DTR and DTE may have to be "tied" together. I have a pin out chart if you want it - email me.

dfly0

Thanks for this thought, this has also been tried and unfortunately didn't work either. Testing voltages is our next step. Any other thoughts welcomed.

J.D. Iles

Comm ports can be tricky

I am going to give you a suggestion that sounds ridiculous, but it actually is what I used to do when I sold and installed Gerber equipment

Go to a CompUSA or the like

But every comm port card you can lay hands on

swap them out until you find the one that works

I know, sounds stupid, but this is what I used to have to do. I traveled with about 12 different kind of ports.

My cardinal rule is: If possible, never try to SOLVE a computer problem. Finding the work-around is always 10 times easier

J.D. Iles
The Signs Never Sleep Blog
http://www.signsneversleep.com
==================================

Service Sign Co

I put a USB to serial converter on mine,& assign com 4,That's what shows up after the driver is installed. You should have a Gerber cable. I'm surprised a Gerber tech wasn't helpful.

dfly0

Thank you to everyone, have tried most of above - and still trying - but no luck so far.
We think it is likely to be a voltage problem but the cable rewiring hasn't worked. Will go back to Gerber engineer to ask if there is possibly a later board for the plotter that allows for the lower voltage of the more modern computers.

At the moment we have got going by printing from the upgraded computer and moving the dongle to the old one to do the cutting from a saved spl file - not ideal but getting some work out!

dfly0

Thanks to Tony Teveris who sent the cable drawing, we are now back in full operation! There were some minor differences on the drawing compared to the info we were given by our Gerber engineer.

Without this site I'm sure we would still be in trouble.

Diana Brown.