Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerber GS15 plus problem, Y axis motor?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by alistair, Sep 23, 2018.

1. alistair

alistair Member

Jul 22, 2015
    uk
    Hi, I have a problem with my GS15 plus cutter, it has started to cut incorrectly on the Y axis?
    the belt is not slipping? the carriage moves freely when switched off so thats not the issue?
    If I use the direction arrows to move the carriage back and forth sometimes it just buzzes without moving so I suspect maybe a problem with the motor?
    anybody else had this issue?

Tags:
  2. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    If the cutter head (carriage) moves as freely as you say, the gear on the stepper motor shaft might be loose. There should be considerable resistance when trying to move the head side to side when the machine is off...which isn't really recommended, by the way.

Take off the side cover and make sure the set screw that is in the gear is properly seated (tight) on the motor shaft.

JB

3. alistair

alistair Member

Jul 22, 2015
    uk
    I should have said it move as it should do! There is resistance from turning the gears and motor.

4. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    Clean your metal rails very well and re lubricate them with 3in 1

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. alistair

alistair Member

Jul 22, 2015
    uk
    Yes I've done that, still have the same problem

6. Marie

Marie Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Any other suggestions for this problem? My GS15 Plus will only move a few inches on the Y axis. We have cleaned and lubricated all indicated parts and still have very limited movement.

7. FunkotronXL

FunkotronXL Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Washington State
    With the plotter powered on, manually attempt to move the carriage along the y-axis. How much resistance there is will be a large indicator. It will beep at you a lot once you trip a y-axis overload by pushing it too far, stop if it beeps and be very gentle while doing this.

If there is significant resistance, it is likely a motor issue with the gearing or the set screw James Burke references.

If there is minimal resistance, first check the power connections to the motor for oxidation and clean them with IPA. If this does not help your motor may have a power issue and may need to be replaced.

You could try calling ThePlotterDoctor for assistance. They are very knowledgable with Gerber plotters.

8. Marie

Marie Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    After cleaning and lubricating the plotter, I was still getting only 2 or 3 inches of movement along on the y-axis. We removed the front cover, and the silver wheel attached to the stepper motor had little vinyl pieces stuck to it (circles from the sprocket holes). Used a pick to remove the trash, put the cover back on, and now it is working great.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Hooray for easy fixes!

JB