• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber GSX plus fixed

Gorf

Hi, folks - I'm a newcomer to the site, and registered for help with a Gerber GSX plus.

I'm an IT geek providing support for a signmaker (itself part of a bigger organisation that I'm also supporting) on a part-time basis. I managed to fix the problem before being "approved" here, but I thought I'd let everyone know my findings.

The problem was that the plotter was stopping at the same point in every cut - there was nothing significant about the point at which it crashed with much beeping of speakers and flashing of LEDs.

The manual was no use - in the troubleshooting section, there were instructions for retrieving an error code by counting the flashes. There were ten error codes, but this plotter was flashing 12 times (and beeping while it flashed, which it wasn't supposed to do because a single beep was meant to "punctuate" the error code.

A test print of a simple job worked fine. Then I sent a more complex job and that, too, worked without a hitch. So I decided the problem was corrupt data being sent from just that one project, so I told them to work on another one to try and clear the built-up backlog.

Unfortunately, that failed too. My final assertion was that a connection in the cable had been broken – so the data was being sent to the plotter in one big lump and because it couldn’t slow down the transmission, it couldn’t cope. I was partly right.

There are only three wires in the cable. The PC end has a D9 and the printer a D25 connection. The pins are 1-7 3-3 and 4-2 respectively – not an arrangement I’ve ever seen before, but not unusual in that it’s nonstandard.

None showed as open loop on a multimeter – they were all working. The lack of active pins made me check the comms settings, and there it was: hardware flow control was enabled. You need at least five (active) pins for that. One to send, one to receive, a common ground, and pins for clear-to-send and ready-to-send.

I changed the flow control to XON/XOFF and it worked!

This would probably work for other plotters in the range, indeed other manufacturers' plotters, but I'm sure the thread will be moved to a more appropriate home if there's the possibility it might help others.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks for taking the time to post your findings. The few times I've ever had such a problem, I corrected it by copying and pasting the job into a new window in Composer, resaved it with a different name and sent it to GSPPlot again.

Tony Teveris

I would assume this was not using Gerber software but another application. The reason I say this is because Gerber via it's GA / Omega software does not use Xon/Xoff flow control. It uses it's own communications protocol and no matter what a user sets the port settings at Gerber's GQMgr will reconfigure it depending upon the device it's communicating with.

The pinout you describe also does not sound like a Gerber cable.

stoliker

Odyssey doing the same thing

I was hoping that I could find my answer in here somewere but to no avail. Tried Fred's idea and nada. My odyssey is only cutting to about 20% of the file. I am on the second set of 40 4 by 8 banners and they all cut fine the first time (I know I tried to get the customer to print them but they wanted cut vinyl). About half way through the second set this little issue arose. Any suggestions? I am using Omega 4.0

Tony Teveris

Stoliker
What Windows OS? XP, Windows 7 (32 or 64)?
Are you using comport or USB to Serial?
What happens when the Odyssey stops cutting, any error display on cutter, does GQMgr show an error?
Is the job still show "active" in GQMgr or is it gone from the queue?
Did you change any thing before this happen, computer, cables, etc?
If you slow the cut waydown does it still do it. Is is always in the same area when it stops?

bcpop

Do a windows search for .prm files and delete them. You could possibly have a corrupt Gerber .prm file.

stoliker

Tony,
we run windows XP on a USB to serial connection. We haven't changed any connections or com port settings or anything since the last cut.
There is no error showing, the cutter is actually pausing the job, but will not unpause (if that is a word). The job is still showing active in the GQMgr and slowing it down didnt help. It pauses at different spots every time.

bcpop - I checked for the .prm files and there are none. Is that bad?

If I had any hair left I may have pulled it out by know:banghead:

Tony Teveris

Maybe static - if you can try cutting with no material or knife in the cutter, just have it go through the motions.

For everyone's info the Odyssey communicates exactly like the Envisions. Standard 9 - 25 pin serial cable, nothing special.

PRM files are managed by GspPlot so there is no need to delete unless your playing with file times, etc

Sorry about the hair

stoliker

Ok, have finished the job on our GX-24. Not much fun. Know back to the odyssey. I tried running the job with no knife and 3 different rolls of vinyl, and it still pauses in different locations every time. I have un-installed and re-installed on 4 different com ports and nada. Is there a built in cache in the machine that can be cleared?

stoliker

Well, don't I feel like an idoit. Replaced the cord with the one from the envision and all is well. Can't beleive I didn't think of that before! Thanks for your help Tony!!

And for future reference, how do you run the odyseey with no vinyl? It kept giving me error messages about the pinch wheel size and sensor problems.

Thanks Again!!!