• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber HS 15 Plus cutting problems

Snakebit99

My trusty HS 15 Plus plotter has, all of a sudden decided to output what looks like a pounce pattern when in normal cutting mode. Tears the vinyl & punches little tiny holes all along the cut path. Running 6.21 Composer,Service Pack 1, Win XP. 30 degree blade. Thourghly cleaned / oiled the machine, installed new blade, deleted the plotter, reinstalled the software & drivers, checked com cable & connections...still same thing. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to try next. This sucker has been my workhorse for many years this is the 1st time I have ever had a problem. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Larry@corpsigns.com, Ohio

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's most likely some lost teeth on your theta belt causing the toolhead to lose it's home position.

Here's a link to a thread that may help you. In particular, read post #13 in which step by step instruction for replacement and homing adjustment are given.

Here, also in a link with pictures on the replacement of a theta belt.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I had the little white plastic gear on the servo motor crack a couple months ago on one of ours, it allowed slippage in one rotational direction and that allowed the head to get out of sync with the direction of travel after a couple turns. Just another thing to look at if it isn't the theta belt.

Snakebit99

That belt was the problem...about 50% of the teeth on one side only were gone. Ordered a new one from Plotter DR. $64.00 +ship. I guess after almost 20 years something was bound to finally wearout. Thanks for the help. Best regards-Larry

Snakebit99

UPDATE on HS15 Plus Cutting problems.

I replaced the "theta" belt, it was all torn up with teeth missing & still the same problem. Cuts like it is pouncing. Just dragging the blade. Homed everything in numerous times & noticed it was not holding the home position. While watching it plot with the top off the blade holder I noticed that the tool head rod with the set screw collar was not moving at all. Everything else looks to be working OK but I am not getting any movement out of the tool rod servo motor at all. This motor is located on top left marked "Minterta" F Series motor #FB5M GS12 by Yaskawa Electric. Any suggestions? May have to just send it to Plotter Doctor. Thanks if any help can be provided. Happy 4th.
Larry

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've never had one so I can't tell you where the control is for it, but since it's a Plus model, I would guess that you're running it in swivel mode instead of tangential mode. This would cause the blade not to rotate because it would be expecting a swivel blade to do that instead.