• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Ion Feedback

Signco Inc

General Manager
My company is seriously considering purchasing the Ion. I was wondering if anyone has purchased this machine already and if they would recommend it.

schmitty

We were primarily a 'Gerber' shop and now will no longer own ANYTHING Gerber (everything from router, to plotter(s), to Edge FX).

The Ion might be the best printer in the world, but with the Gerber name behind it, it just became something Gerber won't support in a couple of years. Just cant trust them.

Go with a different company and you will thank me!

Good Luck!

Tony Teveris

Your best bet is to see the printer and have some prints actually printed with you watching. If possible you should visit SGIA in Atlanta next week. I can say as a long time Gerber employee we are spending a lot of time and energy in this product. One might say we are betting the farm on it.

Signco Inc

General Manager
I have seen the printer in person and was impressed. What really conserns me is what has Gerber done different than the 2 previous printers that failed. I also talked with my sales rep. who I would be buying the unit from and there doesn't seem to be a return policy. $100,000
investment in these times is a really risk move for a medium size sign shop. I'll be in georgia next week to do a second review.

Graphix Plus Ink

I will be there to see it person. My only worry is that the first to solaras were a joke for the price and I couldn't find a dealer that would say Gerbers products were better than "Solid" quote.

schmitty

What happened?

We bought a Jetster (wide format inkjet). To achieve 'saleable' results we printed on Gerber's coated media ... really pricey, but great quality. About 3.5 years after we bought it, Gerber decides they are going to wash there hands of this printer, and no longer support it, but more importantly, no longer offer the coated media.

The combination of the ink and the placement of the heaters makes it impossible to achieve quality prints with any other media, except for what Gerber was offering.

The machine if not even paid off, and Gerber wants 'zero' to do with it! What a joke!

With that level of support, they could have a goose that lays golden eggs, and I would still run far away from it!

Let me add that Tony T. has always been great help with Edge/Omega stuff. Too bad he wasnt involved with the Jetster.

Sorry to make this off topic... but you asked :help

TR1018

Just a note submitted my sample materials to Gerber for test printing back in March----still waiting. I plan on going to SGIA and looking hard at Flat beds don't think I will spend much time at Gerber booth.

econolinesigns

We have had our Solara Ion installed in our shop for about three weeks now and it is printing up a stom. In the first 4 days of production with it, we produced amost $10,000 worth of work. There were several other UV flatbed makers and salesman who told us the Ion could not work. We have had it working and producing now approximately 6 hours per day. While it is not the do all for everything, if someone wraps there head around the time and the material savings alone (just yesterday 10/14 for us, 18 18"x24" multiple color signs in 360 8 pass mode took 10 minutes to set up and 20 minutes to print and they were done - compaired to printing on the Roland, laminating, and applying around 2 to 3 hours time).

So far, great printer, good service and tech support.

WDP

interesting, we've heard mixed things about the ion but never anything bad but definitely lots of hype. Our main concern is ink longevity.

S

Stan B

such a great "business success" story from a guy Join Date: Oct 2008 just with 1 post. And no one from gerber cares to address schmitty. Will stay away from gerber too

econolinesigns

Stan B is correct, we did just join Signs 101 since we had never heard about it before this month. What he does not know about us is that we have been in business 45 years (all of it family owned) and that we do 1 to 1.5 m per year in sales (even during this downturn) with a lot of it being wholesale sales over the last 10 years. We are also one of if not the largest shops in Northern CA (10,000 + sq ft). Feel free to check up out at www.econolinesigns.com (we are working on a website update now)

We spent over three years researching UV Flatbed tech before making a decision and the Solara Ion won out for several reasons. Gerber is telling us 3 years on the ink durability without lanination from their testing while Gandi would only commit a max of 18 to 24 months outdoors with lamination. We have been marking a sample (which we picked up at the ISA show after watching it print) up with sharpie or paint since March and cleaning it off with Laq. Thinner and Acetone (well over 75 times) and trying to scratch the ink off with keys and knifes with no effect. The second job we did on the printer was for a winery and they took the a sample sign we printed on the second day of set-up with the technicians and have been trying to scratch or damage the ink for the last two weeks with dirt, rocks, knifes, etc. and have not been ablt to hurt it. Unlike Stan B, we have always had a great experience with Gerber products and we have been a user way back since the Sprint and 4B days in the 1980's.

S

Stan B

fitst off, what's the deal with "we" ? is it a whole bunch of "you" sitting typing? Second, and most importantly, it does not mean much who you are of if you for real or not. What matters is = "SEE schmitty post #7"

econolinesigns

I say we because that is how we spent three years researching which machine to purchase. Three of us with over with over 100 years of experience in the sign industry. I also think that "I" sounds kind of self centered when refering to our company. While it may not matter to you who we are, I am extremely proud of our accomplishments in our industry.

Yes, schmitty in his post #7 did have a bad experience and it sounds like he has a valid complaint.

I was just offering up the kind of info I thought Sign Co was looking for since we have never been unwilling to help other shops. I was kind of shocked that someone felt that time on the site and number of posts would qualify their opinion more than any other. Not interested in a battle so this will be the last on this from me. From this point forward, I will just post info on the Solara Ion and what works and does not work. Nothing personal on my end, I would hope the same on Stan B's end.

S

Stan B

Nothing personal at all. I do respect you, your opinion and all the deal with being proud of so much experience. I must of worded my concern wrong. I really think that somebody like Gerber shall at least respond very quickly to claims like schmitty has. That's all. If I did make you feel under respected or personally attacked I'm sorry for that case that's not what I meant at all. Friends? :)

Signco Inc

General Manager
Thanks econolinesigns that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for I've only recently started researching the uv flatbeds and your extensive research is greatly appreciated. Were also a family owned sign company since '85 we have a DC4 but never took the leap to a solvent printer. I know a uv flatbed is the right purchase for us to grow I just didn't want to make a wrong and expensive mistake when choosing. Thany you all for your feedback

grfx_flem

solara ions

We have purchased a ion and have it running in our shop. What I would recommend is seeing one running, and not at a tradeshow. They do everything in their power to make sure that one machine runs flawlessly. Get into a shop that has one, and talk to the users.
The machine is extremely temperature and humidity sensitive, go outside their guidelines, and the inks don't dry. Due to the cleaning on the machine you can expect 3-4 times the ink usage that they advertise. The price is great, the specs sound wonderful, but reality is not what is in the brochure. Do lots of homework.