• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber m3000 cutter and Solara ION...New installations

tcorn1965

We received the m3000 2 weeks ago, installation went great. We have been cutting our die cuts we used to pay for, daily, as well as doing die cuts on demand. Very impressed.
We received our Solara Ion last week (supposed to take some of the workload from our vutek and Hp45500). The installer was here all week and could not get a decent print out of the machine, also very slow. The installer said we needed to raise the humidity up to 40-60, and that is why it is not printing (ink not adhering to coroplast). We bought two humidifiers and now have a constant 48 for humidity...no difference in print quality. Now they are sending out a technition. Thus far very unimpressed...I wished the owners would have researched this a little better...In listening to the forums here at Signs 101, agfa might have been the better choice...

tcorn1965

Actually, Once its all set up I am sure it will be fine. We heard alot of good things about the ION and Catonic inks, even talking to a few companies that use them. I guess just initial observation was a let down compared to how smoothly and well the install and use of the M3000 went.

The Equipment Guy

When you have it running right you should see adhesion to coro that will impress you, I have mutilated coroplast with Ion ink on it and it stayed on very well.

But you have to get it running right first as you said.

Craig

Mosh

What is the outdoor life? I have heard all sorts of different things. Dealers say one thing, and producers say another.....

The Equipment Guy

Seeing as it has only been out for a short while, real time experience is not available. I have not heard any complaints about any early degradation in any of the units we sold. Other than that, anything I offer would be speculation.

Craig

tcorn1965

Actually, the tech is here now. He just finished upgrading everything to a series 2 (whatever that means). Let me tell you the print on coro and tile and posterboard (what we have printed on so far) is very, very crisp and nice. As far as the signs fading in time, I asked him that, he said that when these first came out cyan was on the end of the print head and was susceptible to the UV. Now they (Gerber) has moved the cyan to the middle and that has solved the sign fading issue. Although as equipment guy has said no real time longevity testing to tell for sure. I did the alcohol and fingernail test and the catonic ink held to the coro perfectly. Now I am impressed!

seaserpent

We're at six months with our Gerber Ion and are very happy with it. We've had a few problems with mechanical items along the way, but those were repaired immediately by Gerber's excellent response. My impression is that Gerber is discovering what needs to be changed along the way now that many machines are in the field used in daily production. The adhesion is phenomenal when using the proper substrates and tested settings. This can vary greatly depending on many factors including the manufacturer of the substrate even for the same substrate type. I cannot stress enough the importance of finding the right combination of substrate and print settings when producing a job. Once you have those two down your production is set to go. We drive the Ion with Flexisign and are very happy with this also. Longevity at six months is as good as the day the products hit the elements. Only time will tell exactly how these prints hold up outdoors. The Gerber Ion is amazing.