• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Omega or Flexisign?

Strouty

I bought a used Gerber Edge and HS-15 plus, I am trying to make my own stickers for inventory and sales. I, of course being a newbie, did not understand that the machines are not usable without software and a special USB key. I am looking for advice on which software I should look for as well as if anyone has any used (with USB key) for sale. Thanks

signage

Signlab would be another option! Check with Isign he has a version I think his verion has the thermal option.

Strouty

Excuse my ignorance, is composer just another name? I have seen they have CS CP MIP all at different prices. I just lost two auctions for older Omega software and Keys. What is a good price for used software with the USB key?

Strouty

I buy and sell a little of everything. The company that I want to use this setup for is actually Maine Tower Management, but I figured that would be even more confusing. I want to be able to make my own stickers, signs, inventory labels. I am one of the typical Maine jack of all trades, master of none.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Gerber Omega is the name of a software suite which includes Composer. Composer is the design and layout module of the suite. The current version of Omega is 4.0. The only version of Omega that will drive a Gerber Edge is Omega CP. Omega CS is limited to vinyl cutting and the MIP version is strictly for controlling a networked output device.

The Edge can be driven from:

• Gerber Omega CP or Gerber Graphix Advantage CP (the predecessor to Omega)
  • SignLab with thermal module
  • Flexisign Pro version 7.5 or later.
The price range on legal versions of these applications, depending on age and the mindset of the seller, ranges from a few hundred dollars to as high as $4,000. While all three can run an Edge, my opinion is that Omega is the best because it was written around features important in getting the best output from an Edge. In addition, the improvements in Omega versions 3.0 and higher are well worth the higher price.

Before purchasing software, you would be wise to insure that the used Edge is, in fact, working correctly as a repair can run up into the thousands. There are built-in tests you can run to determine this. You might also be wise to seek out the help of an authorized Gerber distributor to assist you in completing your system and getting it up and running. There is a relatively steep learning curve to operating this device.

Finally, your comments in this thread give the impression that you have no plans to produce signs or other graphic products for customers in return for payment. If this is the case, you should be aware that Signs 101 is intended for professional sign makers, suppliers and professionals in related crafts ONLY and that you may not, therefore, be welcome here.