• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber plotter problem

paul luszcz

I have a Gerber HS 15+ that is failing to cut a series of 56 rounded rectangles. It goes to some apparently random point and then stops as if the blade holder hit a brick wall (more like a Saw Stop brake). It just stops cold.

Here are the circumstances. The file was created in Omega 2.5 and has been successfully cut in the past. It contains Edge printed graphics and a cut line, repeated 14 times horizontally and 4 times vertically (not how I would do it, but the file was previously printed and we had no more material, so I continued to try and cut this file instead of creating a single image and repeating it in the output screen.

The cuts always stop on the right vertical side of the rectangle, but not in the exact spot. The rectangle is 2.5" high and the stop has occurred at between 1" and 1.5" on the vertical axis.

The first stop occurred on the fifth rectangle, the second on the fifteenth, the third on the eleventh and the fourth on the seventh. In each case the prior rectangles were cut successfully. I manually "moved" the target to try a different horizontal row each time.

I shipped the customer the thirty something decals that were properly cut, but still have 120 more to produce. New material should arrive today and I'd like to figure out what's wrong before destroying this also.

We have cut other files successfully in between these failed attempts, so it appears to be a file problem not a mechanical failure. I have deleted the original rectangle and recreated it to no effect. Will this be solved with a single file repeated in the RIP or is this a plotter failure?

Sorry if this is too much information, but I thought knowing the exact circumstances might help. I have to produce this today, so your help is appreciated.

Tony Teveris

Static, bad connection or cable. I would make a spool file (GSPPLOT/File/Save As Spool File) this way the data generation is always the same.

If you slow it down and / or cut with no knife and material does it finish without messing up?

paul luszcz

Tony, the file crashes when running without a blade and material and when dispatched from a spool file. As before, each crashed in a different spot. Without material, it ran sixteen copies then crashed, the spool file crashed on the first copy.

If this is a connection, does that mean a bad cable? I believe the plotter is connected via a usb to serial adapter and a serial cable, both from Gerber many years ago.

Tony Teveris

Using no knife or material would eliminate static. I guess you do not have the original Gerber cable? If you did I would switch to it for a test.

When it stops does it sound like the motors are stuck, has the plotter been lubed. It now sounds too mechanical to me but I'm a software guy, what do I know?

paul luszcz

I bought a new cable locally and the software did not recognize the plotter at all. Returning the original cable brought back the original condition. Can a stop on a dime because it needs lube? And then start up as if nothing happened, and seize up again?

Gerber doesn't support the HS15+, so I don't know where to turn for help.

idsignsil

Have you updated/upgraded Omega to something higher than 2.5? Have you recently switched over to run Windows 7? I had this same thing happen to me when I upgraded Omega and got a computer running Windows 7. After about 3 weeks of back and forth with Gerber Techs and some new usb to serial converters that you have to buy from a Gerber dealer, it works again.

round man

just flyin' a kite here but is the omega software using the spooler? it could be a corrupt spooler file and or corruption in the spooler folder,...if you set it to send files directly to the plotter it may have surpassed the plotter's memory buffers and stops when they are full and or finds the corrupt spot in the spooler file and then stops??????

Tel

If you haven't lubed the back bar of the plotter I would do so as this can certainly stop the cutting I have experienced it, take the top off the blade holder/pressure setting part on the carriage and put a drop of machine oil either side of the bushes also there is a hole in the bush put a drop in that, it's about the only servicing a gs15 needs every 6months keep the bar clean. I found this out some years ago when I had the same problem as you describe and a clean and oil sorted it. I found my solution here from Fred Weisse a big Thanks to him
I am sure if you search back you will find a better description as to servicing the plotter than I have described but it's worth a try and will cost you nothing just use 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil.
Tel