Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerber printing question?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by MCV, Sep 8, 2009.

1. MCV

MCV Member

Feb 5, 2009
    May be a dumb question but thought I would ask. Let say you are printing mostly Black label with gold writing? Do you guys use gold vinyl and print black or would you use black vinyl and gold medal ink? or does it not really matter? Is the decision made on which color covers better?

Is there a general rule of thumb you guys/gals use to decide which substrate you will print on? or is white the way to go for most things? I know there are many variables involved and probably many correct answers I am just trying to gain some general knowledge .

Thanks

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I would go gold with a black print, cause you would most likely have to put down a prime layer under the gold medal to get it to come out right

3. GoodPeopleFlags

GoodPeopleFlags Very Active Member

It's different for different situations. In the case you described, I would print Black on Gold vinyl because #1) no gold foil in stock, #2) if I did, that would be printing 2 foils vs. 1 and #3) the gold vinyl will hold up longer outside than the gold foil. But if it was Red & Gold, I would print both on White because the Red will come out weird printed on Gold vinyl without a primer. And if i did print 2 colors on White, I would use the Choke/Spread to avoid the White vinyl showing where the colors meet.

4. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    ugh cant believe I've never seen/used the choke/spread feature....all this time manually contouring colors to bleed

thx bluefish

5. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    black on gold.

gold on black needs a prime or it looks olive green.

6. Zambookajoe

Zambookajoe Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    I would print black on gold too, makes a nice label thats durable.

Judgement call on different situations, Ive been running my edge for ten years now and I still get a few headscratchers once in a while

7. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    i agree the black print on gold vinyl, unless the customer wants medal and it's for indoor or limited outdoor use....then i would suggest black vinyl with a gold medal print....medal foils are opaque and do not require a white base....they look great on black too...

8. MCV

MCV Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Makes sense. So more or less you need to determine how the substrate will react with the colors your printing. So printing yellow straight on red will probably give you a orangish color? is there ever a time where you would choose a colored substrate, other than the obvious reflective, metallic, etc. vinyls? and if so do you need to lay down white first in most cases or do some colors just cover better?

9. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    darks cover lights better...I would use colored vinyl over white when most of the field is the color of the vinyl - less printing, less chance for a messed up print

10. miltondavis

miltondavis Member

Aug 24, 2009
    san rafael, ca
    black on gold, the gold metallic vinyl will probably last longer than the gold foil