• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Question

welderman

Hello all. I am wanting to get some software for my Gerber Edge 2 printer and I found Omega 2.0 software. Will the Omega 2.0 software work with the Gerber Edge 2 printer?

Thank you in advance.

Signstein

Yes, though Omega 2.0 is from 2003 and you may have a harder time finding a computer that can run Windows XP. The Edge 2 also uses a parallel cable, so you'll likely need the special Gerber-made parallel-to-USB cable.
And you also have the USB dongle, yeah?

welderman

Yes, though Omega 2.0 is from 2003 and you may have a harder time finding a computer that can run Windows XP. The Edge 2 also uses a parallel cable, so you'll likely need the special Gerber-made parallel-to-USB cable.
Thank you, I have a compute that is a Windows XP. I don't know what a USB dongle.

netsol

Thank you, I have a compute that is a Windows XP. I don't know what a USB dongle.
the dongle is the security device that will let the software run.
it would be a parallel port pass through device (male to female 25 pin) that connects to the printer port.

yours MAY be usb , like a flash drive

Xano-64

Hi,
This is interesting information, but how does Windows see this port ? parallel or IP ?
To install the Edge2 with omega, it only knows the // or USB port.
Is it parallel port emulation that appears ?
Thanks

Attila Nagy

OMEGA 2 does not support Network connection for EDGE2, and only works with the OLD EDGE2 Gerber USB Cable (hard to find). Or Native PCI bus ECP parallel port. The currently available EDGE2 USB cable only supported after OMEGA4.. This limitation is in OMEGA Software. FlexiSign can run EDGE2 with any cables or ethernet adapters.

Attila Nagy

I currently use HP Elitebook 8560p it has i7 processor and ECP parallel port on it's docking station. Windows10 64bit and OMEGA 2.61 installed and Runs EDGE2.

netsol

attila, i don't use the gerber software. we are a flexi/enroute shop, these days

i was figuring we could use the old CAPTURE command & create a local port & allow gerber software to print to it.

(it's been 2 many years, we used to do this all the time. i will bring up a xp vm the next time i am at the shop and let you
know if this works.

Attila Nagy

Omega 2 won't work, not even with PCIexpress universal fast Printer port. I have this setup for 20 years, Tried every possible options. the best one is I currently have. If I would actually use it to make any money would upgrade Omega. But nothing I actually need Onega2 cannot handle.

Attila Nagy

Do not need XP. Omega 2.6.1 can be installed to Windows 10 (it is tricky, but works with no issues). The critical part is the ECP parallel port or old Gerber USB-EDGE2 cable.

Xano-64

OMEGA 2 does not support Network connection for EDGE2, and only works with the OLD EDGE2 Gerber USB Cable (hard to find). Or Native PCI bus ECP parallel port. The currently available EDGE2 USB cable only supported after OMEGA4.. This limitation is in OMEGA Software. FlexiSign can run EDGE2 with any cables or ethernet adapters.
Hi, I now this. But my question was about identity of this module "parallel-IP" on Windows: IP address or #LPT ?

netsol

Omega 2 won't work, not even with PCIexpress universal fast Printer port. I have this setup for 20 years, Tried every possible options. the best one is I currently have. If I would actually use it to make any money would upgrade Omega. But nothing I actually need Onega2 cannot handle.
i would think it would work, ASSUMING the printer port was in the correct mode.
as you know there are 3, standard, SPP & EPP, i believe.

i will look this weekend & locate my older gerber software & give it a try.
it seems odd, to say the least that the gerber software would not allow parallel port printing, TO A PARALLEL PORT DEVICE.

i would certainly believe gerber "missed the boat" and required enhanced bidirectional support to complete the printing process.

netsol

LONG & THE SHORT OF IT IS, just use the gerber cable.
you know it will work

i have a tendency to turn things into an engineering project, when there is no need

welderman

Sorry I don't have a Windows XP computer, I have a Window 7 Home Premium computer. But I also do have a Windows 10 home.

Attila Nagy

Sorry I don't have a Windows XP computer, I have a Window 7 Home Premium computer. But I also do have a Windows 10 home.
That's fine. Omega2 can be installed to 7, 10, or probably to 11 as well. The install might need to run in compatibility mode, but the program runs fine without. Color profiles needs to be copied to different folder, after install. msg me if need help.

netsol

yes, omega can run on 11, as i remember you need to disable " driver certificate signing" (i forgetvthe exact wording. then windows 10 & 11 like all those drivers....

Attila Nagy

yes, omega can run on 11, as i remember you need to disable " driver certificate signing" (i forgetvthe exact wording. then windows 10 & 11 like all those drivers....
Do not need to disable anything. only drivers involved here, USB Dongle, ECP printer port or USB Gerber cable. all have signed driverers.