• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Gerber s/750 question about weights

Greggomp42020

Hello all, Newbie here... I have surfed the web looking for info on this cutter.
I was surprised to see a weight set for the cutting head. I know this baby is old but I had never seen or heard of weights used for down pressure. I will be using to cut sandblast media for monuments. I stumbled on this deal.. the Sprint 15" and the 30" with A/B switch and the console. Just cant find anything on these weights and how to use... If it doesn't use a solenoid for pressure the blade will always be in the media?

confused but happy..

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
The S/750 is nothing more than the big brother of the 4B.

Like all Gerber plotters, the S/750 has a lift fork (actuated by the cam bar) that raises and lowers the knife.

Instead of the spring actuated dial head like the GS and HS series Gerber plotters, the S/750 utilizes a set of stackable weights. The weights are available in a variety of masses so you can mix and match to obtain the correct pressure depending on what you're cutting.

I did some quick snooping online in your neck of the woods...and that's a good price. You could always part them out and make more than your money back if it somehow didn't work out.

We also do monuments. PM me if you need any help.

JB

Last edited:

Greggomp42020

The S/750 is nothing more than the big brother of the 4B.

Like all Gerber plotters, the S/750 has a lift fork (actuated by the cam bar) that raises and lowers the knife.

Instead of the spring actuated dial head like the GS and HS series Gerber plotters, the S/750 utilizes a set of stackable weights. The weights are available in a variety of masses so you can mix and match to obtain the correct pressure depending on what you're cutting.

I did some quick snooping online in your neck of the woods...and that's a good price. You could always part them out and make more than your money back if it somehow didn't work out.

We also do monuments. PM me if you need any help.

JB

Thank you so much for that Great info... That makes sense now... I hear these older Gerbers are still work horses...
What did you mean when you said "that's a good price"? Again thanks for that info... the 30" looks to be in great shape but the 15" will need a new drum.
I hope all this will come together and I appreciate your knowledge! Cool forum really!

Greg

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Haven't had to use it in awhile, but My 2000 model Gerber Envision 375 cutter had a problem like that and I bought a "Weight" from Gerber or some supplier.
It's a solid metal cylinder with a thinner cylinder shaft on the bottom. Thee shaft fits in the blade holder. You run a test from the control pad and when it tells you to, you insert the weight into the blade holder
and it runs a test moving the blade holder up and down then you remove the weight and carry on.....

It's been awhile but I think I had to remove the blade in the blade holder before and during the test.

It seems like I was cutting THICK Sandblast stencil material at the time I ran into that problem though....

It's 20yrs old and runs 5 days a week... It is a Workhorse

Greggomp42020

thanks for your reply,
Still have some to learn for sure and this is a great place to do that! I don't have the control pad to run a test cut pattern but maybe there is one on that control board
that the 15" sits on top of ( sprint IIb ) in the offline mode? not sure but will figure it out.

Good to know these things are work horses!

again thanks for your response,
Greg

Rocco G

Ah, an old Gerber plotter! We got one when then first came out, delivered by Fred Flintstone with his brontosaurus. It came with six fonts and fost $10k. Eventually i got a computer interface so i didn't have to spend $300 for a new font. Up til 6 or 7 years ago, the 4B was my everyday machine. Mine still works (needs adjusting really) but is gathering dust on a shelf. If you don't wear out any belts, it should last and last and

You will need to experiment with different weight for different types of vinyl. Sorry but its a trial and error procedure til you get the hang of it. One thing to note is that its SLOW compared to modern plotters and the cut quality was so so, again compared to modern machines.

Good luck with it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
One thing to note is that its SLOW compared to modern plotters and the cut quality was so so, again compared to modern machines. Good luck with it.

Since he's only using it to cut sandblast stencil, minor quality issues aren't a problem like they are on vinyl...and neither is speed if he isn't hammering out dozens of stones a day.

JB

Greggomp42020

Ah, an old Gerber plotter! We got one when then first came out, delivered by Fred Flintstone with his brontosaurus. It came with six fonts and fost $10k. Eventually i got a computer interface so i didn't have to spend $300 for a new font. Up til 6 or 7 years ago, the 4B was my everyday machine. Mine still works (needs adjusting really) but is gathering dust on a shelf. If you don't wear out any belts, it should last and last and

You will need to experiment with different weight for different types of vinyl. Sorry but its a trial and error procedure til you get the hang of it. One thing to note is that its SLOW compared to modern plotters and the cut quality was so so, again compared to modern machines.

Good luck with it.
Rocco,
do you have any kind of manual for this cutter? the only thing I can find on line is for the 750s Plus.....

Greggo

Rocco G

Sorry but no. I only had the 4B (actually still have but is on a shelf) and that manual was lost probably 30 years ago. IIRC they were very similar machines. A quick web search turned up The Plotter Doctor who supposedly has the interface cable. I'd contact them because they repair (or at least used to) the gerber lotters.